PDA

View Full Version : Gentleman's box

Mark Valsi
03-15-2004, 11:26 AM
I made this box for Archie Griffin, the 2 time heisman trophy winner from OHIO STATE.

I met Archie last fall when I went back to Columbus for a football game. What a nice guy !

The box is made from Paduck and Flamed maple. Oiled and waxed. No problems with the paduck at all, and the maple looks better in person than it does in the picture.

Any comments are welcomed, positive or negative. I want to do better!

Jim Becker
03-15-2004, 11:29 AM
Beautiful job, Mark! And even in the right colors...

Ted Shrader
03-15-2004, 11:45 AM
Mark -

NIIIICE!!!. It looks exceptional in the photos, so in person, it must be spectactular.

Any though about sticking some <a href="http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forestry/Education/infobuckeye.htm">"buckeye" </a> wood in the piece somewhere?

Ted

Dick Parr
03-15-2004, 12:00 PM
Mark, Very nice!

Chris Padilla
03-15-2004, 12:05 PM
Purty! Are the splines Paduak as well? For my eyes, a third one would be better.

Also, for jewelry boxes, I always like to make the center panel proud of the frame anywhere from a 1/16 to 3/16" depending on how thick the figured wood is. In this case, the color of the panel is nice but the figure isn't as interesting as the frame in which it sits.

Overall, gorgeous box and nicely put together.

Chris Pasko
03-15-2004, 1:24 PM
Very nice box, nice clean lines.

Tyler Howell
03-15-2004, 1:32 PM
Too Nice for words!

Lars Thomas
03-15-2004, 1:46 PM
Wow, that's really nice. Well done. Can you tell up where you got the logo?

Matt Bridges
03-15-2004, 2:59 PM
That looks awesome! My FIL would have been proud. He was THE biggest Buckeye fan I every met and when he died of luekemia, the family almost buried him in the official OSU casket, but the cost was outrageous.

My only problem with it is until 2 years ago I lived my entire life as a Hoosier, so down with the Buckeyes! LOL And before you make any comments about my FIL having a Hoosier for a SIL, it gets even worse....My wife's brother married a Wolverine!! :D

Matt

Chris DiCiaccio
03-15-2004, 4:49 PM
I made this box for Archie Griffin, the 2 time heisman trophy winner from OHIO STATE.

I met Archie last fall when I went back to Columbus for a football game. What a nice guy !

The box is made from Paduck and Flamed maple. Oiled and waxed. No problems with the paduck at all, and the maple looks better in person than it does in the picture.

Mark, Nice work! I bet that's something he will treasure.

Pat Salter
03-15-2004, 5:13 PM
I don't have a box. Does that mean I'm not a gentleman?

Sure is purdy!

Oh wait, I've got some particle board, I'm going to go make myself a box so I can be a gentleman too!

Just kidding, beautiful wood and beautiful work.

Jason Tuinstra
03-15-2004, 7:45 PM
Mark, I like it. The details on the inside look nice. Quality job.

Rob Littleton
03-15-2004, 7:51 PM
I don't have a box. Does that mean I'm not a gentleman?

Sure is purdy!

Oh wait, I've got some particle board, I'm going to go make myself a box so I can be a gentleman too!

Just kidding, beautiful wood and beautiful work.

Good thing I read this post, I got a softball game tonight and need to get my stuff together. Musn't forget the important piece :-)

Tony Falotico
03-15-2004, 8:29 PM
Beautiful box Mark. I really like contrasting woods.

May I suggest, when using two woods that contrast that much, perhaps a small paduak band on the sides just under the top, and/or a small maple inlay in the top center would break up the large areas of differing woods and tie it all together. Just a thought, not criticism, the box as it stands is beautiful.

Tony

Eric Naessens
03-16-2004, 5:05 PM
Beautiful box, Mark. If you don't mind me asking, what finish did you use? I'm in the middle of building a TV stand / Entertainment center, and used Padauk for the frame and edging for the top. At this point, I'm not sure what finish would be best, and would love to hear what worked for you.

Greg Tatum
03-16-2004, 8:14 PM

Very nice.

Mark Valsi
03-17-2004, 10:03 AM
Guys,

Thanks for the nice comments.

The Paduk didn't bleed, and the finish is the old tried and true standard for lazy guys like me: Danish oil ! then a couple coats of wax.