PDA

View Full Version : So - what kind of knife is in the typical WW'ers pocket?

Rich Engelhardt
03-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Hello,
I was sitting here running a couple of my kinves on the Spyerdo Sharpmaker just touching up the edges, and wondered what anyone else carries?

Generally, I carry an old(er) Benchmade Leopard Cub.
Lately though, I've been slipping an old Schrade Old Timer - carbon steel blades, in my pocket.

It's kinda - well,not really funny, but,,
I've had a small fortune tied up in knives over the years - and it seems like the little old Schrade is the one I usually end up going back to.
Nothing seems to take an edge like carbon steel.

stacey martin
03-02-2008, 1:20 PM
Leatherman. Once in awhile I will forget it at home and I feel naked.:eek: Don't know how I would get by with out it. Before the leatherman it was old timers.
Stacey

David G Baker
03-02-2008, 1:24 PM
Richard,
When I was working I carried a Swiss Army knife because of the different tools on it. I have a small collection but no serious quality high end knives. I have two Gerber pocket knives, a couple Kabars and several hunting knives of different sizes.
I stopped carrying knives when airports started taking them away from passengers.
I have always had a thing about knives and have to stop myself from buying them when I see a unique knife.
I buy different types old kitchen knives from garage sales and shape the blades for different utility uses. When I was a kid I made knives out of files and old vehicle springs that I found around the farm. I used an old hand crank stone for most of the shaping.

Matt Meiser
03-02-2008, 3:00 PM
I used to keep one of the keychain swiss army knives with my keys. But after giving the 3rd or 4th to the TSA I gave up.

Lee DeRaud
03-02-2008, 3:09 PM
Not always in my pocket, but I've got 4-5 of these (http://www.crkt.com/kiss.html) scattered around the house and shop...something about the design appeals to the engineer in me.

And a couple of Leatherman widgets in the big toolbox and the car, but they're too bulky for pockets IMHO.

glenn bradley
03-02-2008, 3:31 PM
Here's the 2005 discussion thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=154528#poststop

Use the Google search engine. It will generally find these things. After three years I think we can discuss it again, eh? I carry my Uncle's passed down Buck jack knife.

The little lock blade stays in my laptop bag as I don't carry a pocketknife at work ;-)

Ken Fitzgerald
03-02-2008, 3:35 PM
Typically I carry a Gerber lockback but I've been carrying a mini-Leatherman given to me by my current manager for Christmas last year. He's now deployed in Kuwait and I"ll continue carrying it until he's safely back to work at home. I've actually mailed it to myself when I found it in my pocket at an airport in Bloomington IL. I discovered it after I'd checked my baggage. I approached a TSA agent and they showed me where the pre-paid envelopes were located for such use. I about fainted when I found out the airport was paying the postage.

Greg Stanford
03-02-2008, 5:07 PM
Swiss Army Knife, it's got a toothpick & tweezers!

David G Baker
03-02-2008, 6:17 PM
Ken,
Since I discovered Gerber knives with a locking blade I am not comfortable with a knife that doesn't have a locking blade, except for my Swiss Army Knife.

Tim Byars
03-02-2008, 6:27 PM
I'm carrying a Smith & Wesson branded knife that my in-laws gave me for Christmas...I think it's officially called "Extreme Ops". Not a bad little knife, except that I'm having a devil of a time figuring out how to sharpen the hawkbill blade.
Honestly though, a classic Buck is really more my style.

Ron Jones near Indy
03-02-2008, 6:43 PM
Old Timer--small and sharp

Steve Clardy
03-02-2008, 6:45 PM
Schrade Old Timer with a broken tip on the blade :o

At one time I thought it was a pick for digging stuff out of wood :confused::eek:

Doug Shepard
03-02-2008, 6:55 PM
I alternate between 2, depending on which one has slipped out of my pocket and gotten lost in the couch at the moment. One is a Swiss Army knife with corkscrew, screwdriver, awl, and a couple of other gadgets. The other is a small Gerber locking knife.

Jim Becker
03-02-2008, 7:03 PM
I've never felt the need to carry any kind of knife or other tool on my person...so I don't. I do have a handy-dandy Leatherman-like thingie in the car from Duluth Trading (a freebe) that even has an LED flashlight on it...

Kevin Groenke
03-02-2008, 7:09 PM
Victorinox Swiss Army; Super Tinker, on my shop/work keys.

The scissors is a nail trimmer and the tweezer is for slivers.

Rarely leave home without one, try to remember to put in the checked luggage when traveling, but have donated a couple to the TSA since 2001.

-kg

jess bunch
03-02-2008, 7:41 PM
Hi Rich,

I carry an Ole' Henry .. I have carried this knife for about 30 yrs now My daughter gave it to for Christmas, she gave one of my sons one also and he just left it laying around so I put it away to use when I wear this one out. It's a 3 blade, bone handle. I NEVER go ANYWHERE with out my knife. We will be doing something and one of my sons will ask to use my knife .. I say to them "where's YOUR knife", their usual answer is " on my dresser". I say "what kind of knife is it"? they say "pocket knife", I say "that's right a POCKETknife"! :o Oh well .....

mark page
03-02-2008, 8:34 PM
A three blade Schrade Old Timer folding knife has been a 35 yr old standby. Still shaves after a couple of licks on a Swedish or German steel. Also have a Case locking small folder and a small Buck serrated edge locking folder. I do have a very large twin blade Queen Steel knife that I've had for about 35-40 years. It's illegal to carry here concealed because of the blade length, so it goes in the tackle box along with the filet knifes. Also have too many fixed blade knifes to count.

George Morris
03-02-2008, 8:37 PM
I carry a buck 301 3 blade pocket knife,in my pocket all the time. George

Alan Trout
03-02-2008, 8:57 PM
I have carried a knife for the last 30 or so years. I carry a little Buck lock blade that has a very sharp point and a 170 C grade blade that holds a very good edge. It's funny when I was in grade school we had an Old lady teacher that insisted that all of the young boys should carry a pocket knife. I have carried one ever since.

Good Luck

Alan

Roger Bell
03-02-2008, 9:51 PM
In the pocket for home, shop and town, a Benchmade Osborne folder with Axis lock in 154 CM steel. A superior knife made by an Oregon company.

In the field (100 days/year), I prefer the strength and reliability of a fixed blade in a belt sheath. I carry a Loveless style with short blade in ATS 34 steel. Or an old Morseth in laminated steel with a 5" drop point blade with a stacked leather washer handle.

In the shop, I use the utility knife for mundane chores and a Stubbs version of the sloyd pattern to take to wood.

I have never cared for systems that integrate numerous multiple (and typically mickey-mouse) tool features. While these have legitimate purposes, the knives contained in them usually aren't much. When I need a knife, I want a real knife with superior steel that is up to the task. And it also needs to be quickly deployable.

Wes Bischel
03-02-2008, 11:31 PM
Hi Rich,

I carry an Ole' Henry .. I have carried this knife for about 30 yrs now My daughter gave it to for Christmas, she gave one of my sons one also and he just left it laying around so I put it away to use when I wear this one out. It's a 3 blade, bone handle. I NEVER go ANYWHERE with out my knife. We will be doing something and one of my sons will ask to use my knife .. I say to them "where's YOUR knife", their usual answer is " on my dresser". I say "what kind of knife is it"? they say "pocket knife", I say "that's right a POCKETknife"! :o Oh well .....
Sounds like conversations my Dad used to have with me!:D:D Had to stop for a while for work, but now it's always within easy reach. Oh, it's a victorinox tinker model.

Gary Keedwell
03-03-2008, 12:02 AM
Not always in my pocket, but I've got 4-5 of these (http://www.crkt.com/kiss.html) scattered around the house and shop...something about the design appeals to the engineer in me.

And a couple of Leatherman widgets in the big toolbox and the car, but they're too bulky for pockets IMHO.
Lee..they look interesting...can I ask you which one you have..or which one you like best?

Gary

Dennis Peacock
03-03-2008, 12:05 AM
Schrade Old Timer with a broken tip on the blade :o

At one time I thought it was a pick for digging stuff out of wood :confused::eek:

I hear ya buddy and I gots one in my pocket as we speak. Broken tip and all. :)

Randal Stevenson
03-03-2008, 12:16 AM
Well, I have one of my Gramps, that I can't tell what type it is, but I leave it at home. One Craftsman lockblade that is all stainless (handle included), that I used to carry. Then I have my Leatherman, that I stopped carrying after a couple of Jury duty trips (they don't like them in the courts either).

I picked up another Craftsman lockblade (in exchange for another broken one I picked up), and left that in my tool box I was always lugging around. It was stolen last year with lot's of tools.
I had been looking at a Gerber, especially since I always had the other style plier head when I needed one. I was going to get the Gerber 650 tech kit (4 different, interchangeable, plier heads), then it was canceled.

Lately, all I have been carrying are those inexpensive, knives that use replaceable utility blades. I don't know, but if you had one in the airport, couldn't you just leave the blades, then it is only a handle?

Maybe that is too much like all that confiscated toothpaste/shampoo, that is "hazardous" yet doesn't get blown up!

Lee DeRaud
03-03-2008, 12:58 AM
Lee..they look interesting...can I ask you which one you have..or which one you like best?

GaryThe 5510: bead-blast finish, semi-serrated. (They didn't have the black finish the last time I was in the market for a new one...have to take a look at that.)

Bart Leetch
03-03-2008, 1:15 AM
I have a couple of Old timers That I use once in a while & a Stanley 10-049 disposable blade knife I touch up the blade 4-5 times then replace it. I also carry one of those fold able knives the have a construction knife blade that is disposable . I just got tired of sharpening blades.

Eric Brenneman
03-03-2008, 1:31 AM
I carry a Case XX M1051 LSSP. Given to me as a Christmas present 20 years ago. Very slim, 2 and 3\4 inch blade. Best knife I've ever owned. Been carrying a knife since I was 8 and can understand feeling naked without one.;)

Denny Rice
03-03-2008, 1:32 AM
Wow,

I'm surprised, I am the odd man out. I stopped carrying a true pocket knife about 6 or 7 yrs ago and bought a Gerber lock blade folding knife that holds a replaceable razor blade. I was not sure how much I would like it, but I use a knife so much at work its great, if the blade gets nicked or dull I take the blade out and throw it away and replace the blade. I always have a sharp knife in my pocket and never have to sharpen it.

mike holden
03-03-2008, 8:35 AM
I have carried a single blade, locking knife for the past 38 years. Had a folder close on my finger back then, so locking blade only for me.
Currently its a 3 inch "blackie collins" blade with a GFP handle.

Roy Hatch
03-03-2008, 9:00 AM
I bought my Swiss Army knife when the first PX opened after the truce in Korea (1953). The PX was in a tent and I had never heard of a Swiss Army knife, but it was the only knife they had. So it'll soon be 55 years old. Of course, the amazing thing is - I haven't lost it.

My son noted a small crack in the handle and suggested that I could get a new knife if I returned it. I generally consider him a bright kid, but I had to explain that I wasn't about to give it up just yet.

Roy

Jason Christenson
03-03-2008, 12:26 PM
...but I use a knife so much at work its great, if the blade gets nicked or dull I take the blade out and throw it away and replace the blade...

I'm with Denny. I never leave home without it, in fact I rarely leave my bedroom in the morning without it.

Jason

Ken Werner
03-03-2008, 4:25 PM
Swiss army [Victorinox] Recruit. Simple, light and inexpensive. I'm on my second, lost the first after a bunch of years.

Ken

Lee Koepke
03-03-2008, 5:06 PM
I have a nice little CASE that I got for Christmas this year. Before that was a Gerber that I now use around the yard.

I am surprised how many times it comes in handy.

and ... i have to remember when I visit the wife at the courthouse to take it outta the pocket ;)

Jeff Dege
03-03-2008, 5:22 PM
I carry a Benchmade Osborne 770.

I have to say that Benchmade's Axis lock is my favorite action.

Jeff Heil
03-03-2008, 8:40 PM
Does anyone else wonder what the TSA does with all the stuff they confiscate? They must have a pile of pocket knives, scissors and such. I hope they donate it to a worthy cause or put it to good use.

Roger Bell
03-03-2008, 9:16 PM
Does anyone else wonder what the TSA does with all the stuff they confiscate? They must have a pile of pocket knives, scissors and such. I hope they donate it to a worthy cause or put it to good use.

In Seattle I know they auction it off. In fact, there is a guy at a flea market in the Seattle area that has a booth entitled "Buy Back Your Stuff", featuring knives, leathermen, nail clippers, etc.

Ed Breen
03-04-2008, 1:52 PM
A small two blade case for going to work at the office, a larger barlow when I'm not at work.

Mike Heidrick
03-04-2008, 11:08 PM

Illinois Gov does the same thing on a site called IBid. Ohare Int generates a ton of them. You can buy 25lbs of them pretty cheap. The leathermans and gerbers are sold seperately.

Paul Greathouse
03-05-2008, 12:10 AM
Have been carrying the same 3 blade Buck for a very long time now. Probably bought it in the mid 80's. I think it was called the Rancher, its a larger version on the basic 3 blade Buck that my grandfather used to carry.
I have Granddads knife too. My mother gave it to me after he passed away.

Curt Doles
03-05-2008, 7:14 AM
I'm really fond of the Gerber Silver Knight series. I have several. They make one that's about 1 3/4 closed, you don't even notice it in your pocket.

Now this part, I hate to admit, I stopped carrying a knife in favor of a thumb drive.

What's the world coming to!

Curt

J. Z. Guest
03-06-2008, 1:53 PM
My favorites are my Spyderco Delica and my Victorinox Bantam. (large blade, combo can opener, bottle opener, screwdriver & wire stripper)

I have dozens of others.

I have an Old Timer stockman, as I wanted to try out the carbon blades. You're right, nothing takes an edge like carbon steel. Once one gets over the fact that it always looks dirty, it is pretty nice.

But every time, I come back to a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife. The other tools are just so bloody useful, they far surpass the usefulness of a slightly better steel in the one-handed opening lock blade knives.

If I didn't have an office job, I'd probably favor a multitool. (Victorinox)

Some folks can't decide and don't fight it, and carry a multitool and a locking one-hander w/pocket clip.

Just like with cameras, I'm finding that the smaller, handier ones are often better, because I am NEVER caught without them. ;)

Joe Chritz
03-06-2008, 2:05 PM
CRKT or Benchmade.

Fixed blades are usually something I have built.

None get used in the shop however. They are a daily carry tool and I sorta feel naked without one.

Joe

Wes Terry
03-08-2008, 7:51 AM
My wife gave me a Case XX 3-bladed, bone handle pocket knife years and years ago for Christmas. I've carried it ever since. There are better knives to be sure, but this one has been in my pocket every day since. Takes a really nice edge. I just touch it up from time to time with a diamond hone.

Keith Rooks
03-08-2008, 10:40 AM
A 2 blade Buck 305 Lancer, always comes in handy.

Kevin French
03-08-2008, 4:18 PM
My son noted a small crack in the handle and suggested that I could get a new knife if I returned it. I generally consider him a bright kid, but I had to explain that I wasn't about to give it up just yet.

Roy

Roy tell him when he gets it, he can return it if he wants.

Mine is an US Army pocket knife, the one that was SUPPOSED to be in our Demolition Box, Made by Camillus.

And I'm not completely dressed without out it.