PDA

View Full Version : Can't figure out TS wiring. Help?

Chris Yarish
03-02-2008, 12:06 PM
My TS can run at 110 0r 220. It is currently wired to run on 220.
The saw has a cord and plug that runs out from the motor. This plug looks like a standard 110v plug (2 standard male ends and a ground--the two standard males ends sit verticaly beside or parallel to one another). This is supposed to run to the back of the master ON / OFF box for the saw.

From the ON / OFF box, another cable comes out, and this one is destined for the wall outlet. It has 2 male ends and a ground....the 2 male ends on this one are horizontal, or in line with one another. It's a totally different plug.

I have purchased and set up the appropriate wall outlet and run the proper cable back to the panel. The problem is, given the location of my TS, I can't reach the wall outlet with the provided cords and am in need of an extension cord. I haven't had much luck finding one....does anyone know if they exist? What are my alternatives if there are none around?
Are there 220v extension cords?

Brian Fulkerson
03-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Chris,

Go to HD and get a longer cord. Depending on how many AMPS your Table saw runs, be sure to buy a cord properly rated. A 12/3 cord so work fine for amperage ratings up to 20. 10/3 will cover you up to 30 AMPs. Wiring a new cable is very easy. Remove the wire housing on the motor. There will be to "hot" leads (White & Black) and a ground (green). There are also many resources on the internet about wiring specific models.

Good luck.

Jeff Bratt
03-02-2008, 1:56 PM
The "totally different" plug is most likely a 240V 15 amp connection. See http://www.systemconnection.com/downloads/PDFs/NEMAPlugReceptacleConfigurations.pdf for reference. This plug (NEMA 6-15) can be inserted into the receptacle of either a 15 or 20 amp circuit. Premade extension cords with 240V plugs are not easy to find, however, you can make your own, or extend your existing cable using the plugs/connectors you already have. The first listing on Google that sold parts was http://www.stayonline.com/reference-nema-straight-blade.aspx, I'm sure there are more... plugs and cable are also available at your local stores.