PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Notebooks????

Eric Jackson
03-02-2008, 11:30 AM
I have a Dentist asking about pocket notebooks. Does anyone know of a good resource for a laser engravable pocket notebook? I am thinking along the lines of something leather, but am open to anything.
Thanks for the help!!
Eric:)

Frank Corker
03-02-2008, 7:56 PM
Eric, I'm not actually likely to be the person to point you in the right direction on this but it usually helps if you can let us know where you are. Sometimes just adding a little to your personal signature will help. (see the little message up here on the right under join date)

As regards leather pocket books, I used to engrave one or two police notebooks here in the UK to good effect. They were nice black leather but engraved with this sort of reddish brown finish, looked really very sweet, however the tanning process on them isn't always identical and the results can be 'iffy'.

Eric Jackson
03-06-2008, 9:44 AM
Thank you so much. I live in Alabama and am getting started in the laser gift business. I am a full time pastor and so my time is limited, but I do enjoy my laser. Again, thank you for the help. I am almost a computer moron, but will try to personalize my page. Thanks. Eric

Paul Proffitt
03-06-2008, 9:56 AM
I recently engraved my son's Moleskine notebook. These should be available online or in local stores. I haven't shopped for them myself so I don't have a specific source. In this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=72538&highlight=moleskine) I posted a picture of the result.

Paul Proffitt
Suwanee, GA
Epilog Legend 24TT 45 Watt, Corel X3, Illustrator CS and a woodworking shop of other fun stuff

Eric Jackson
03-06-2008, 10:04 AM
Again thanks. I tried to update a little and became a 2008 contributor. never liked paying via internet, but it is time to grow up!
Thanks again,
Eric

Bill Cunningham
03-06-2008, 9:56 PM
I have always had good luck etching leather, and Frank is right. Depending on the tanning method, as well as what leather die was or may have been used, you never know what colour the engraving is going to be. I have had black wallets etch everything from brown to white.. I usually tell my customers there is no way to tell what colour the leather will turn when the beam hits it.. It all depends on what the cow had for breakfast on the worst day of it's life!:eek:

AL Ursich
03-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Laugh At Loud !!!! Breakfast.....

James A. Wolfe
03-12-2008, 10:19 PM
Eric,
I'm not "in the business" so a lot of what I do is just for the fun of it and to help me learn more about the laser's capabilities. One happy accident was picking up some faux leather (read cheap) photo albums at the local borg. I used masking paper, lightly vectored the outline of some text through the tape and used the resulting mask as a stencil to spray gold lacquer. Peel off the mask and a cheapo deluxo album looks very special. I could see the same process working for pocket notebooks as well.

Don't know if this is what you're looking for but it's my 2 cents worth.

Jim

Eric Jackson
03-23-2008, 9:54 AM
Thanks for the help everyone. I really appreciate the advice!! Eric