PDA

View Full Version : What I did with my scrap......

Bill Huber
03-02-2008, 11:26 AM
When I got the wood (white oak) to make the little kids chair I just did get enough. In fact I was afraid I wouldn't have enough at one point in the build. That is something I really need to work on is figuring how much wood I need for a project.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=81521&d=1202872020

I did have what I need and I had some scrap left over, some end cut offs and a few other pieces if different size.

The ends of the stool are made of 3 pieces each, DowelMax together, the top pieces are made from the left overs of cutting the arched parts of the chair.
The height was determined by the length of the scrap I had.
The only thing that was not going in the trash was the brass screws that hold the top on, even the finish was from a can that I was ready to trash because there was just so little left, it was going to get hard. I did have to add a piece of red oak for the cross bar becasue I didn't any more white oak.

So about all I have left of all the white oak I bought is saw dust and a few small pieces from the cut outs on the sides.

Now if I could just do that with all my projects it would sure save me a lot of money.

It is 12 x 7 and 7 1/2 inches tall

Rick Levine
03-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Beautiful job on both pieces, Bill. I wish I was at the stage where I can design and build furniture from my own design with out plans that came out so well, but I'm working on it.

Jeff Wittrock
03-02-2008, 12:09 PM
That's a real nice looking little stool. I love white oak.

J. Z. Guest
03-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Very nice Bill. I too have a hard time throwing out "perfectly good, but kind of short wood."

Bill Huber
03-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Beautiful job on both pieces, Bill. I wish I was at the stage where I can design and build furniture from my own design with out plans that came out so well, but I'm working on it.

Thanks.... I am not a designer yet....:D:D

The chair I made from a plan but the little stool I just had to fly by the seat of my pants. When you only have so much to work with you just have to kind of go with the flow.

Bill Huber
03-02-2008, 12:40 PM
That's a real nice looking little stool. I love white oak.

Thanks

I will have to say this was my first use of white oak but it sure is a good looking wood and I will be finding more project in the futures to use it on.

Bert Johansen
03-02-2008, 1:29 PM
Nicely done, Bill! This would make a great gift for Christmas or a birthday for a mother of young 'uns.

Keep up the design work--you have the knack. Many don't, so count your blessings! And thanks for posting the picture.