PDA

View Full Version : New to Spraying Finishes

Roy Fleming
03-02-2008, 8:55 AM
I purchased a PSH1 conversion gun and am going to attempt to spray shellac and wb lacquer. If I am going to put on multiple coats of either finish within a few hours, Do I need to clean the gun after each time I spray?

Mike Mortenson
03-02-2008, 9:12 AM
No, the gun will be fine, just take a damp cloth and wipe off the tip each time.

Steve Clardy
03-02-2008, 11:34 AM
No, the gun will be fine, just take a damp cloth and wipe off the tip each time.

Ditto. Or just remove the tip and put it in a small can of lacquer thinner.

I save metal food cans from the house to use for this

Matt Meiser
03-02-2008, 11:54 AM
The tips are the only thing on these guns that take any effort to clean, and like Steve, I've found that putting them in laquer thinner for a couple days makes that a non-issue. I use a pickle jar so I can close the lid to keep the solvent from evaporating. I only clean the gun when changing between products (shellac to WB poly or lacquer) and when I'm done. For shellac to WB, I clean with alcohol and then soapy water. After the WB, just soapy water.

Joe Chritz
03-02-2008, 12:17 PM
You can also soak the parts in acetone.

I regularly leave my gun loaded over night with no problems. Occasionally you will need to remove the tip and clean it but you can go for a time without cleaning.

I use two guns now, one for shellac and one for USL.

A couple ounces DNA to clean after the shellac and the kitchen sink for waterbourne.

Joe

Matt Meiser
03-02-2008, 12:58 PM
BTW, you cannot remove the inner tip with finish in the cup. The cap can be removed though. Just so you know. ;)