PDA

View Full Version : Wood Prices?

Jimmy Anderson
03-02-2008, 8:42 AM
I'm fairly new to the site (and WW) so if this has been posted in the past forgive me. I tried a search but didn't find what I was after. Maybe, I should have refined it a bit. Anyway, what do you pay for oak, maple, and walnut? I've found 4/4 oak for $1.80 but it would be a drive for me. That seems to be the cheapest. But I'm also just learning of sawmills in my area. I really haven't looked into maple or walnut but I just want some price comparisons.

Lee Koepke
03-02-2008, 8:54 AM
Update your profile so we know where you are. Prices will vary regionally.

My closest places in W Ga are expensive. I have an associate the has a cabinet shop and I can use his connections for wood for considerably less than my local retailers.

Maple and Cherry in my area ... $3 ish and $7 ish ... although the pricer places have cherry as high at $9

Brian Kerley
03-02-2008, 9:41 AM
Well, out here in the desert, our woods like walnut & cherry run about $5-7 / bft in 4/4. It definitely ain't cheap. If I could find material for < $2 a bft that wasn't checked, splintered, warped and knotted, I'd buy a truckload :-) But again, that's just out here in the desert.

Craig D Peltier
03-02-2008, 1:13 PM
Only the people in your part of the cpuntry can give you an answer. The prices vary so much in different parts of the country.You have eastern maple over there and cherry we dont. It cost much more.

Jim Becker
03-02-2008, 7:25 PM
Jimmy, you live smack dab in the middle of "lumber heaven" which is one reason you'll likely find more reasonable prices than many folks, especially buying directly from the mill. But "where" in central PA are you so folks can direct you to a few of their favorite places to buy wood.

Mike Steinhilper
03-02-2008, 7:59 PM
Jimmy, I am originally from Williamsport and I'm up there every Christmas to visit family. I've gotten some cherry from a mill called Eastern Wood Products in Williamsport. Real nice folks, and I think I paid $4.50, compared to around $7 here in SC. There are several mills in the Williamsport phone book. Jim is correct, you're in a great place for lumber. Not to mention that Grizzly store in Montoursville. :D

Dave Dye
03-02-2008, 8:21 PM
Jimmy, where are you at in cental PA, I live in New Columbia, and might be able to help.

Jimmy Anderson
03-02-2008, 9:15 PM
I'm pretty close to State College so that would give me Altoona, Clearfield, Brookville, Williamsport is within reach, Lock Haven. I know there has to be some good places around, it's just finding them.

David Miller
03-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Jimmy,

I'm in State College and visited Lewis Lumber in Picture Rock, PA (near Williamsport). It took me about 1 hour 20 minutes to get there. I bought some 4/4 FAS red oak for $3.29/BF. The selects oak (narrower, not better) is $2.69/BF? I also purchased some walnut for close to $6/BF.

-Dave

Bryan Giles
03-02-2008, 11:21 PM
There is a guy who advertises on craigslist.... In Coatesville, pa. I was planning to drive down and check out his offerings...

He quotes

"Got Hundreds of Board Feet Cherry All FAS from $2 a BF Lots More Oak....Maple....Poplar..."

Anyone Familiar with him??

Daniel McCurdy
03-02-2008, 11:46 PM
There is a guy who advertises on craigslist.... In Coatesville, pa. I was planning to drive down and check out his offerings...

He quotes

"Got Hundreds of Board Feet Cherry All FAS from $2 a BF Lots More Oak....Maple....Poplar..."

Anyone Familiar with him??

I don't have personal experience with him. The only review I received was from a good friend and he was not that happy with it. That certainly doesn't mean that someone else would feel the same way though. Probably something to check out if you're already in the area, but I would think you'll find much better stuff out your way.

That same friend did mention he knew of good places out closer to you. I could inquire if you wish, shoot me a PM.

Bryan Giles
03-02-2008, 11:50 PM
Any experience with Talarico Hardwoods??? They are on my hit list as well this week.

Bryan Giles
03-03-2008, 12:01 AM
Any experience with Talarico Hardwoods??? They are on my hit list as well this week.

Nevermind, this thread answered my questions...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=523931

Bob Hallowell
03-03-2008, 8:19 AM
Jimmy, I live in Dubois and seem to find deals in the local trade. but there are a few mills around that will sell you wood for a decent price. If you are looking for some thing different here's a place. I plan to go there in the future their prices are great http://www.innernet.net/galleryofwood/pricelist.htm

Bob