PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Counter Top Help

jess bunch
03-01-2008, 11:59 PM
I'M A NEWBY AND THIS IS MY FIRST POST

I need help on how I should go about laying and grouting 12"x12" marble tiles? The people do not want a grout line, they want the tile butted up leaving hair lines at joints. what glue should I useto set the tiles and ideas on sealing the butted up edges, do you think buytle applied to edges before setting the tile would work? There IS a sink there

Thanks, Jess

Jim O'Dell
03-02-2008, 12:05 AM
I think that is a disaster just waiting to happen. If they want no grout lines, they need to pony up for a marble counter top, which still wouldn't be first on my list. You need to get them to sign a waiver of future damage. At minimum, make sure you use concrete backer board under it to help contain the water that will get through. Sorry to be so negative, but grout lines with tile is part of the deal. And there is a reason it is there. Jim.

jess bunch
03-02-2008, 12:21 AM
I will talk to them, I think a 1/32 or 1/16 line is in order. They already bought the marble .. matches some other items they have ??

I'm sorry but I did not see the post on granit tiles before I posted this, could use some of same advice ??

Jess

Jamie Buxton
03-02-2008, 12:27 AM
Jim's right. Tiles = grout lines.

You might look into what are called pre-fabbed stone slab counters around here. They're granite (or marble) slab counters intended for kitchens. The edges have been doubled-over, and a bullnose profile routed on it. The counters come in several standard sizes and shapes. For instance, there's a straight one which has a doubled edge on only the front. There's a left one which has a doubled edge on the front and the left, and so on. You also matching backsplash. You often can buy a standard size and just cut off the part you don't need. One of my local sources sells granite peninsulas (two long edges and one short) which are 7' by 28" for $130(!) to $300, depending on which stone you choose.

Joe Chritz
03-02-2008, 4:38 AM
Pass on the no grout. It is bad enough with grout since it isn't truly waterproof, but none is a disaster in the making.

If they insist get a signed waiver and hold onto it.

Silestone or real stone is the way to go if they want no lines.

I have done lots of the cheap wall tile in a dog kennel once that has very narrow grout lines and it seemed to work OK but it was on a wall not a horizontal surface.

Joe

Bryan Parlor
03-02-2008, 8:44 AM
I'M A NEWBY AND THIS IS MY FIRST POST

I need help on how I should go about laying and grouting 12"x12" marble tiles? The people do not want a grout line, they want the tile butted up leaving hair lines at joints. what glue should I useto set the tiles and ideas on sealing the butted up edges, do you think buytle applied to edges before setting the tile would work? There IS a sink there

Thanks, Jess

I did a couple of granite tile counter tops with zero grout space last year. I used clear silicon caulking. Butter the edges of the tile and check that the caulking wells up uniformly across the whole length of the tile when you push them together. Since the caulking is flexible it should give a better seal than a narrow grout line over time.

The grout space hides any height differences between tiles, with zero grout spacing small differences become objectionable. My tiles varied in thickness by upto 1/16 in.

To overcome the differences I used four countersink screws in the substrate for each tile and adjusted them to get a uniform tile height. The tiles are glued in place using silicon caulking. NB extra support is needed under the sink rim because of the clamping pressure.

We have been using the counters for a year now and no problems. Since you have no control over how the counters are used, I would get an agreement in writing that you are not responsible for any cracked tiles. A glass jar dropped from one of the upper cupboards could crack a tile. I can stand on my countertop but I am a skiny guy.

Bryan

Jeffrey Makiel
03-02-2008, 9:21 AM
Marble is a really bad choice for countertop material. It stains. Also, mild food acids like lemon juice and vinegar will etch the polished surface. Relying on sealer is not the answer either. Marble is best used for other areas of a home.

Depending on the color of the stone used, the appropriate thinset or natural stone rated mastic must be used. Often, the thinset or mastic is white (vs. gray). The wrong stuff will change the color of the stone.

Butting tile as to not have a grout line is difficult. The tiles must be laid very flat and consistent with each other because any tiny change in height becomes readily apparent. If it's a dark gloss stone, it will show up more. As a minimum, the homeowner will feel bumps when wiping down with a sponge. It's best to use a notch trowel versus buttering each tile. However, you must use consistent and even pressure setting the tiles.

Most countertops are about 26" deep. This results in 2 joints when using 12"x12" tiles. Choosing larger tiles (which are now available) will reduce the joint to only one. A wet saw with a diamond blade is a must for cutting. A tile cracker will not work.

You will still need to seal the joints from water seapage. Unsanded grout that matches the color of the tiles is an easy way. However, you must seal the tiles for some natural stones before grouting to prevent absorption of the grout into the tile's surface.

Again, marble is not a good choice for countertop material.

good luck,
-Jeff :)

Craig D Peltier
03-02-2008, 1:18 PM
My ups driver has granite tiles with no grout lines. I should say he didint use spacers and kept it tight. He hasnt had any problems. I also went toa clients house that had hti sone and she hasnt had any troubles.