PDA

View Full Version : A little experiment.

Kevin McPeek
03-01-2008, 9:32 PM
These were an experiment that I tried on some Ficus since it was, well, free thanks to my good friend Mike. I had this sitting around for awhile so thought, what the heck.
They are 5" on the long side and 2 3/4" tall. About as close to twins as I can get without measuring anything. I know the base is larger than you'd normally have but I figured they should be stable incase of a bump when they are lit. They only have some Danish oil on them but will get a finish when the oil dries good.
I am looking to make some new types of table center pieces that you can actually have a conversation over instead of around.
Anyway, please feel free to critique. I'd like some pointers before I do this in some "good" wood. Thanks for looking.

David Walser
03-01-2008, 9:47 PM
Kevin,

Those are very nice. That ficus has some nice variation in color. You made very good use of that free wood.

Steve Schlumpf
03-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Kevin - they look pretty good to me! Don't know if any other type of wood could ever improve on what you already have! Very nice!

Bill Bolen
03-01-2008, 10:08 PM
If you don't think that is "good" wood, just send it on to me! I think it is awfully pretty. Nice job, I haven't seen this type of turning before and really like it! Fiine design and execution!..Bill..

Ken Fitzgerald
03-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Nicely done! That design will be stolen!

Johnathan Bussom
03-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Kevin,
While you may think the base is out of line I think they are beautifully designed, especially the way you blended the top with the grain, how u do dat???

Great job, I like em'

Kevin McPeek
03-02-2008, 12:13 AM
Thanks guys.
Johnathan, These were natural edge but the bark fell off the log a while back. When I turned them I just sanded them smooth.
Dave, I admit this is pretty good Ficus, I really didn't expect it to be this nice. Luckily its easy to turn. One of them I was chasing to tool marks until I could see it flexing a bit and when I stopped it I noticed light coming through the wall.

Bernie Weishapl
03-02-2008, 12:18 AM
Kevin they look great to me. The wood looks nice.

Tom Sherman
03-02-2008, 6:56 AM
Not to shabby at all Kevin. Looks very nice.

Jerry Allen
03-02-2008, 11:16 AM
Great idea Kevin and I like the wood too.

Paul Douglass
03-02-2008, 11:36 AM
Darn, my wife saw those over my shoulder, she thinks I ought to be able to do that? Let's see "no dear, not until I get a better lathe!"

Very nice work.

Jerry Allen
03-02-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm thinking the next experiment should be one with a saucer at the bottom (with a loop handle too?).
And then one with a NE or square wing at the middle.

Skip Spaulding
03-02-2008, 11:54 AM
They look great to me, like you said, the base needs to be stable. Very nice!

robert hainstock
03-02-2008, 2:53 PM
Good form and finish. The wood reminds me of Filipino mahogany. In any case, good, good work. :)
Bob

Kevin McPeek
03-02-2008, 9:03 PM
Darn, my wife saw those over my shoulder, she thinks I ought to be able to do that? Let's see "no dear, not until I get a better lathe!"

Very nice work.

These are actually fairly easy to do. I just had to half logs, and drilled a hole where I figured center was. I just happen to have a forstner the right size for these tea lights that is one for the Crush Grind pepper mills. Anyway after I bored the hole I mounted them on pin jaws and turned the outsides and a tenon on the base. Then I mounted them in the standard jaws and hollowed out the center and made the bead. Finally, I remounted them in the pin jaws in the bored hole and turned the tenon off. Easy breezy... more or less.

Jerry, I might have to try the saucer idea, thats a good one. These are NE they just lost the bark and not much for sapwood.

dennis kranz
03-03-2008, 12:39 AM
I like those. I also think that your design will be used often I hope.
Dennis

Alex Elias
03-03-2008, 2:09 AM
I would not change anything. From here they look great. Even the free wood is pretty nice

Gordon Seto
03-03-2008, 8:14 AM
Very nice and unique design. It is functional stability with the thick base.
One thing I have some concern is the drying rate of fairly thin rim and thick bottom. Would that creates a cracking problem?

Scott Lux
03-03-2008, 10:08 AM
I showed the LOML. She wants me to make a set. I told her, "I can make two, but they won't be a matching set." She said she'll wait until I can make a set.

Beautiful form on those

Lux

Mike Vickery
03-03-2008, 10:52 AM
Kevin those are beautiful. I am not crazy about how you did the bottom at the base. But it is hard to argue with the finished product. Just outstanding work.

Kevin McPeek
03-03-2008, 1:27 PM
Thanks again for the nice words.

Gordon, I would worry if these weren't dry to begin with. If there were turned green you would most likely have some issues.

Mike, I agree with the bottom... I just didn't come up with anything else to do. I can always rechuck them and change the bottoms.