PDA

View Full Version : Video editing desk/station plans?

Jason White
03-01-2008, 8:35 PM
I'm going to be doing some freelance video editing and am thinking about building some type of special desk to serve as my video editing "suite." Basically, I need a desk that will put 2 or 3 large flat-screen monitors at or slightly above eye level, with plenty of room for keyboards and controls on the lower part of the desk. The tower would sit underneath. You can buy ready-to-assemble kits that are designed for this, but they're kind of ugly.

I'm attaching a picture of the type of setup I'm talking about. Anybody ever build something like this?

Jason

Peter Pedisich
03-02-2008, 9:40 PM
Jason,

I sent you a PM, maybe not what you were looking for but some ideas.

Pete

Bryan Giles
03-02-2008, 9:52 PM
Not deep. 2 sheets of plywoods will do the job, unless you wanna go all out. LOL.

I am a mix engineer and needed a desk, though I prefer my monitors down a little bit. I built my desk out of 2 sheets of plywood. It features a lowered video monitor midsection (I use 2 -24" HD monitors), 2-6 spc racks above which double as Audio monitor stands and 2-12 spc racks below to enclose my MacPro and mis outboard gear.

Built it in about 4 hours.

Check out some Omnirax designs, or look over at argosy Console....

Jason White
03-03-2008, 3:37 PM
Can you please post a picture?

Not deep. 2 sheets of plywoods will do the job, unless you wanna go all out. LOL.

I am a mix engineer and needed a desk, though I prefer my monitors down a little bit. I built my desk out of 2 sheets of plywood. It features a lowered video monitor midsection (I use 2 -24" HD monitors), 2-6 spc racks above which double as Audio monitor stands and 2-12 spc racks below to enclose my MacPro and mis outboard gear.

Built it in about 4 hours.

Check out some Omnirax designs, or look over at argosy Console....

Cliff Polubinsky
03-03-2008, 9:59 PM
Jason,

The only suggestion I would make is add a return or something for notes, scripts, shot lists, coffee cups, plates of pizza, etc. It will help keep your main surface clear and orderly which if you're going to have clients in the edit will make a better impression and also make it easier to focus. Although in my past life as a video producer/shooter/editor/writer (23 years industrial for a multinational and a major utility) keeping a neat editing suite was never one of my outstanding talents.

Good luck.

Cliff

Jason White
03-04-2008, 8:03 AM
Great suggestion. Thanks!

JW

Jason,

The only suggestion I would make is add a return or something for notes, scripts, shot lists, coffee cups, plates of pizza, etc. It will help keep your main surface clear and orderly which if you're going to have clients in the edit will make a better impression and also make it easier to focus. Although in my past life as a video producer/shooter/editor/writer (23 years industrial for a multinational and a major utility) keeping a neat editing suite was never one of my outstanding talents.

Good luck.

Cliff