PDA

View Full Version : Shellac Nibs killing me

Jared Cuneo
03-01-2008, 5:58 PM
I love the look of shellac, and am getting somewhat :rolleyes: better at application, but the surface NEVER comes out smooth, close, but not wax ready. I always have to go back over it with a green pad/0000 steel wool or 600G paper which inevitably leaves white dust or steel/green flecks in the grain. I can't tell you how many great projects I've 'messed up' by my finishing and could have been great otherwise. Sure, they come out ok and noone but me notices, but anyone here would look at the crevices and such and think that it was non-professional. I especially have trouble around areas like where stretchers meet legs (M&T areas) and such.

Other than spraying my finish, which I presume will still leave nibs, I don't know what to do. I have gotten streak-free since switching to the Jewitt method but the nibs are still there. And I'm pretty sure its not sawdust settling as I have waited overnight before.

Thanks for any help,

JC

Dennis Peacock
03-01-2008, 6:40 PM
Jared,

Shellac is a great finish. Your problem is wood fibers being raised and "frozen" in the finish. It's usually good to "wash-coat" the wood with a 1 pound cut first, let that dry about 2 hours and lightly sand with 600 grit, changing the paper frequently. I don't worry about the "white haze" from sanding as that usually melts upon the next application of shellac to the wood. If you are brushing the shellac, remember, it needs to "flow" on off the brush with little pressure on the brush itself. Keep a wet edge.

I hope this helps a little any way. :)

Jared Cuneo
03-01-2008, 7:01 PM
Hmm, never thought of that. Will definitely try that one....Thanks Dennis.

JC

Joe Chritz
03-02-2008, 4:44 AM
Shellac is a learning curve intensive finish. I never was able to get the hang of it before I went to spraying. I still get little nibs but they knock down with a sanding sponge in about 10 seconds per cabinet door.

If you learn to pad it on and/or French polish it is one of the nicest looking finishes available.

I like to think I am technically competent in finishing but I wouldn't put me much above that level.

Joe