PDA

View Full Version : Netscape end of support

Dave Lehnert
03-01-2008, 4:16 PM
Well Netscape is dead. Never did like Internet Explorer. I see people like Fire Fox but I once download it on my computer and had problems. What is Flock I see Netscape linking to? Any others I should look at?

Al Wasser
03-01-2008, 4:58 PM
I have never had a problem w/ Fire Fox except that once in a while you will hit a site that does not recognize it or what ever the right words are -- can't read something. I have been very pleased with it

Steve Leverich
03-01-2008, 8:04 PM
Same experiences as Al - IE and Firefox do NOT like to be open at the same time, so when I (rarely) hit a site that doesn't like Firefox, I click in the address bar, then [ctrl]+C (copy), then I close Firefox and open IE, click in the address bar and [ctrl]+V (move), hit Enter, and I'm there.

This just saves a bunch of keystrokes or bookmarking a site I don't wanna save.

Overall, Firefox cuts 'way down on the number of times I wonder what effect a grenade would have on my 'puter... :D Steve

Jim Becker
03-01-2008, 10:05 PM
I've never had issue with both FireFox and IE open at the same time. In fact, I have an add-on in FireFox specifically to fire up IE for those few pages out there that will not render correctly in FF.

To the OP, FireFox and Netscape stem from the same code base...from Mozzilla.

Steve Leverich
03-02-2008, 3:10 AM
Jim, it doesn't surprise me - I seem to get all sorts of "different" results for some reason, even tho I run AVG virus, Webroot spy sweeper, etc - for example, I've not been able to get Woodcraft's site to sell me anything for a couple months now - I can look all I want, but when I click on "add to cart", everything just moves like it's in peanut butter at -40 degrees. Thought maybe I'd not added java plug to firefox, but java says it's the latest :confused:

Rockler's been happy tho, got several sales Woodcraft mighta had... Steve

Curt Harms
03-02-2008, 3:19 AM
I use firefox mostly. For those few sites that work better with I.E. try downloading Opera. Free like Firefox, doesn't seem prone to crapware, seems to work better with some "we only do Idjit Exploder" sites. Opera.com

Jim O'Dell
03-02-2008, 11:00 AM
I've used Netscape exclusively since I entered the computer world with Windows 3.1 . Never have liked IE. Forced to use it at work. I downloaded Firefox when Netscape announced they were ending all support a few months back. It's ok. But I like the features on NS 7.2. Tried the newer versions of NS, but, like the current version of Firefox, they left the form fill feature off. I use that everyday. If anyone knows how to easily add that to Firefox, I'll complete my switch. I do like the built in spell check it has. Works here that the Creek very well. Jim.

Curt Harms
03-02-2008, 12:34 PM
I've used Netscape exclusively since I entered the computer world with Windows 3.1 . Never have liked IE. Forced to use it at work. I downloaded Firefox when Netscape announced they were ending all support a few months back. It's ok. But I like the features on NS 7.2. Tried the newer versions of NS, but, like the current version of Firefox, they left the form fill feature off. I use that everyday. If anyone knows how to easily add that to Firefox, I'll complete my switch. I do like the built in spell check it has. Works here that the Creek very well. Jim.
Hi Jim

I don't know if this is what you're referring to but tools>options>privacy>history has a remember what I put in forms function. I use it for making reservations but it's smart enough to NOT remember credit card numbers. Type the first letter of the field and you'll be presented with one or more choices. There may be other more functional extensions for this but I haven't had the need.

HTH

Curt

Jim Becker
03-02-2008, 7:04 PM
What Curt said...I use the "form fill" feature in Firefox all the time! In fact, I don't remember it ever not being there since I switched to FF a couple years ago as my primary browser.

Jim O'Dell
03-02-2008, 9:03 PM
Maybe I have it turned off and don't know it. In Netscape 7.2 there is a button to click at the top. If you have a form you fill in all the time, you fill it in once, then click on the button for the drop down menu, and click capture. The next time, you click the button and then the fill button in the drop down menu, and it fills in all the same blanks. Saves lots of time if you have a need for it.
I'll go poke around Firefox and look for something similar. But even the 2 newer versions of Netscape don't have this feature. :confused: Jim.

Curt Harms
03-02-2008, 9:40 PM
As I stated above, I haven't needed a form filler. However, here are some possible extensions. I don't know if they're good or bad but it might be worth installing one or two good candidates, try 'em and uninstall 'em if they don't cut the mustard
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search?q=form+fill&status=4
One of the good things about FireFox is that there is active development by 3rd party developers.

HTH

Curt