PDA

View Full Version : Finishing closet ?'s

Rob Littleton
03-14-2004, 10:46 PM
Ok guys, just got back from a LONG drive from the new house and have "finalized" the shop plans. I thought I had anyways. On the way home, I mentioned a finishing closet/room to the wife and she said great idea !!!!!!! It is also acceptable to take part of HER 2 car garage for it (since my new shop will be the other side of the wall.

Question is, what the heck goes in a finishing closet/room. I cant let her know that I dont know anything about it or she will pull the plug on the idea. I have to sound savvy.

Like, extraction fans, filters, and anything else.

Im thinking of a room of 8x8 maybe......

i told her smaller but oh well......

HELP!!!

thanks guys.

Robert Ducharme
03-14-2004, 11:44 PM
You should have explosion proof:

exhaust fans (forget right now amount of airflow - based on room size
lights - natural, have enough to avoid shadows - top, side, front, back
filtered air coming into the room - so exhaust fans can work
heating - also explosion proof (radiant?) so the material can cure under controlled conditions
air line in with oil filter, water filter, regulator - make certain air supply is sufficient for guns
white painted walls?
storage (based on room size) for finishting equipment. Otherwise it will need to be located elsewhere.
some sort of fiinishing stand (may be temporary/mobile) to place work on. Sometimes hanging from wires is best so maybe a wire attachment between walls if needed.
Keep cleaning equipment out of room. Avoid having fumes possibly affect finish quality.

I am certain others can add more things. I like a larger room so I am not crowded up against the item I am spraying or finishing.

Joe Suelter
03-15-2004, 12:18 AM
Yeah, 8x8 seems a tad on the small side, but go with what you have at your disposal. How big is the garage going to be? If this is a new house, is it too late to expand the garage for a bigger finishing room? Just a thought.

Rob Littleton
03-15-2004, 11:23 AM
Yeah, 8x8 seems a tad on the small side, but go with what you have at your disposal. How big is the garage going to be? If this is a new house, is it too late to expand the garage for a bigger finishing room? Just a thought.

the existing garage is a 3 car and the new workshop is gonna be 20x32. that will be attached the existing garage and i will take over the single car and the new shop. The wife will keep the double car for her and the kids.

I was hoping that a little "closet" room off off her real estate would make me a finishing room......second thoughts now.....hmmmmm

Thanks for your input guys.