PDA

View Full Version : Which Band Saw

Ron Gossett
03-01-2008, 1:16 PM
Looking to purchase a band saw for resawing rough cut lumber. Please recommend a good saw. Do not want to buy the wrong thing. Will be resawing 4/4 and up.
Thanks
Ron

Anthony Whitesell
03-01-2008, 1:23 PM
The x/4 doesn't really matter. How wide are the pieces you'd like to resaw?

glenn bradley
03-01-2008, 1:27 PM
Boy, that is pretty wide open there Ron. You'll get the bigger is better standard response for band saws. You need to get a little more specific on your requirements. Some of the controlling factors might be:

- plans for the rough lumber you cut (chairs, tables, turning blanks, fishing lures, guitars?)
- re-saw height (how wide a slab you want to end up with after the resaw?)
- power (lotsa resawing or just now and then?)
- versatility (do you want to cut Queen Anne dresser headpieces too?)

I run a 2HP 17" saw with a 12" height capability. This serves me well for resawing veneers, slabs for table tops, etc. I also run a 1/4" blade on it for holiday goodies and scroll-like work (not real scroll work but you know, smaller detailed stuff).

If you are not looking to cut your own slabs for panel glue ups the cost of your saw will come way down. What I mean is that if 6" of resaw height will meet your needs a 12" or 14" saw will work great right out of the box (well, new blade maybe). With greater height requirements comes the need for more power, bigger frames, bigger bucks, etc.

Ron Gossett
03-01-2008, 1:46 PM
Will be doing 6" to 10" wide boards for glue ups ect. Have just acquired an 18" woodmaster planer with all the extras and will probable open a small molding shop in addition to my woodworking projects.

Anthony Whitesell
03-01-2008, 2:04 PM
I have been researching bandsaws as well, Ron. The next question will be what voltage do you have available to run the saw? 120 or 220? And which would you like to use.

With the requirement for 6-10" resaw, you have eliminated anything below 14". So I will concentrate on 14" and up.

As for the HP, one thing that I noticed and was pointed out is that the largest HP 14" saw you can get is 1 1/2 that runs on 110. There are one (or two) 14" saws (Rikon I believe is one) that are 2 HP and 220. Anything above the 14" saws are all 220. Most of the 110 saws can be set to 220.

There are three "areas" of saws to look at:
1. 14" cast iron frame. Standard ~6" resaw, with a riser it will get you to ~13". They max out at 1 1/2HP and run on 110 (most can be switched to 220)
2. 14" Steel frame (like the Rikon) is a 14" steel frame with 12" resaw and you are not able to increase the resaw. This would be a "crossover". Steel frame, 14", and 220VAC.
3. Above 14", they are all steel frame (the resaw you buy is what you get) and they are all 220 and 2 HP or more.

As I have concrentrated on the 14" saws, I can tell you that you are looking at between $300 and $1000 as is in the box. Ie., No extras and they are not all equally equipped. Some have fences, some don't. Some have a miter gauge, some don't. Some are bearing guide, some are block giude. Some has quick release blade tension, other don't.

What do you think so far Ron?

glenn bradley
03-01-2008, 2:19 PM
Will be doing 6" to 10" wide boards for glue ups ect. Have just acquired an 18" woodmaster planer with all the extras and will probable open a small molding shop in addition to my woodworking projects.

Good stuff. Thanks Ron. My 1HP 12" saw really struggled with 6" boards other than pine or fir. It did amazingly better with a Timberwolf 1/2" 2-3 T blade (about $15) but others will tell you of the pleasant experience in dealing with Suffolk Machinery. At any rate my old C-man was not up to resawing anything hard over a few inches in height so I upgraded.

So here's my humble opinion and it is worth just what it costs:

- 2HP (or a strong 1.5 like the Rikon 10-325 on a dedicated circuit)
- 17" to 18" machine with a large table
- 14" machine with a riser and a 2HP motor as a possible alternative

And of course all the other things you look for in a band saw decision; roller guide style or upgrade possibilities, ease of blade changes (this shortened my list), quick tension release (this also shortened my list), manufacturer support reputation, fit and finish, etc.

I run a Griz G0513X and am quite happy. The 18" Rikon gets a lot of thumbs up around here. For double the money Laguna and Mini Max are really nice machines. If you get a chance, I like to look at the "really nice" machines so that when I look at the ones I can afford, I know what to look for.

Enjoy the quest :D.

Mike Spanbauer
03-01-2008, 6:48 PM
Sounds like you are buying quality, wise move if you intend to do molding and other small shop work.

My recommendations will be skewed then towards a more business minded purchase.

I would recommend getting your first saw last as you can likely take it as a business deduction.

The Minimax MM16 or MM20 would both serve your needs and more. There have been a couple of griz options suggested too that are decent. Laguna will likely come up in the thread as well, they sell good equipment... just can't figure out the service thing.

Bridgewood is another great bandsaw company, but often end up being more $$ than minimax for comparable machines (not a knock on the machines, just a consideration).

I would opt for a carbide blade though with ANY of the saws for simplicity, and performance. Yes, they are expensive up front but if you're goin to do any amount of resawing, you'll thank me.

I personally own the MM16 with the Lenox Tri-master carbide blade (1") and it absolutely rocks.

mike

Ken Fitzgerald
03-01-2008, 6:59 PM
I'm with Mike. If you plan on doing a lot of resawing, get one that can do it without struggling.

I'd look at one of the high end Grizzleys, Mini-Max, Laguna or Agazzani.

I'm just setting up my MM-16 for the first time. Ordered it in September but refused to use it until my shop was painted and the DC was installed and functional. I hope to make my first cuts on it later today or early tomorrow.

You want to look for something with h/p for serious resawing and height to saw wider boards. My MM-16 ....4.8 h/p....16" high and wide.