PDA

View Full Version : I visited Terry Hatfield's shop today

Larry Browning
03-14-2004, 10:11 PM
I would like to publicly thank Terry Hatfield for showing me his great shop today. He and his family made me feel very welcome and I thoroughly enjoyed my visit. I was very interested in seeing his table saw and jointer because I have the same models on order from Grizzly. I was also very interested in seeing his killer dust collection system and got several very good ideas for my own upcoming installation. He also showed me some of his finished projects. I especially liked his entertainment center cabinet. I can't think of a better way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Thanks a million Terry!

Larry

Note to Tyler: Sorry, no pictures. I only took one picture of Terry's sanding downdraft table.

Terry Hatfield
03-14-2004, 10:31 PM
Larry,

I really enjoyed our visit. It was a vey nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Don't be a stranger. You are always welcome here.

Terry

Kelly C. Hanna
03-15-2004, 8:19 AM
I look forward to the day when I can get over his way. I think his shop is an inspiration to many....sure is to me.

Steve King
03-15-2004, 9:16 AM
Larry,

I have a question; when you were at Terry’s shop, did you see any sawdust?

I barged in on him one Saturday last summer and didn’t see any sawdust! I think he uses another shop to build his projects :D

Steve

Terry Hatfield
03-15-2004, 9:30 AM
Larry,

I have a question; when you were at Terry’s shop, did you see any sawdust?

I barged in on him one Saturday last summer and didn’t see any sawdust! I think he uses another shop to build his projects :D

Steve

LOL....

Steve,

I bet he didn't see any. :D

Terry

Larry Browning
03-15-2004, 5:54 PM
Steve,
I tried to find some, but there just wasn't any. But there was this one door over in the corner of the shop that was locked and he wouldn't let me see what was behind it. Hmmmm! maybe that's where the sawdust is :confused: :D

Larry

Chris Padilla
03-15-2004, 6:30 PM
Ha! :D

Maybe he sweeps/blows it all over to that special spot in his shop!!

B-b-b-b-usted, T! :D

Terry Hatfield
03-15-2004, 7:24 PM
Ha! :D

Maybe he sweeps/blows it all over to that special spot in his shop!!

B-b-b-b-usted, T! :D

Chris,

NOPE!!! :D Nice try though. :D LOL.....Do you really think I would let Larry in my shop if it was dusty???? :D :D

t

Tyler Howell
03-15-2004, 7:24 PM
Come On Larry level with us! He does it all with computers , right???:D

Boyd Gathwright
03-15-2004, 10:12 PM
No Tyler, not computers, I hear it was mirrors.

Come On Larry level with us! He does it all with computers , right???:D

Robert Ducharme
03-15-2004, 11:18 PM
I think he has a long pipe and dumps it in my shop. Even without tools on one side, I am still sweeping up piles of sawdust. :rolleyes:

Terry Hatfield
03-15-2004, 11:33 PM
LOL....

You guy's are too much. :D

t

Matt Woodworth
03-16-2004, 10:17 AM
If I ever go to Terry's shop I'm bringing white gloves and I'm going to search for dust. :)

Kelly C. Hanna
03-16-2004, 7:05 PM
With that DC system he built you might not find a speck. I might just have
to bring a big chunk of wood to cut and see if it's possible to even make dust in that shop....:D:D:D

David Rose
03-16-2004, 8:47 PM
OK folks. Here's the real story. I saw Terry's shop after a BBQ and was trying to make it back into an OR like it usually appears. Believe it or not, there was stuff on the floor! The Fein III wouldn't do it fast enough for Terry. He said just quit and let the next day's forcast for wind do it for us. He opens the big doors and lets it "clean itself". Or so he says... We have several area wood workers who *could* be furnishing shops, but mine isn't one of them, so... But mine usually does look like it should have produced Terry's work. At least the floor and bench does. :D

I think Terry has his dust sucker up to cyclonic levels. I believe he just opens a gate, fires up the scrap board collector, and runs out fast. He has a remote so he can shut it down before he gets back into whatever is happening indoors. That's my honest suspicion. Maybe he just locks Katie in and says "turn it back into an operating room". Yeah, and I have a US highway bridge to sell ya too. :D

David

Terry Hatfield
03-16-2004, 9:01 PM
OK, here's the REAL story. I have a never ending supply of dustless wood.

t

Bart Leetch
03-16-2004, 9:33 PM
[QUOTE=Terry Hatfield]OK, here's the REAL story. I have a never ending supply of dustless wood.

t[/QUOT

Ya & I'm standing on a 40' tall step ladder.

David Rose
03-17-2004, 1:20 AM
Bart, don't be so sure. Terry and I get most of our hardwoods from the same place. I've been noticing a lot more sawdust lately. Maybe double what I should be getting. Terry pays a little more for his wood... Do you think?....

David

[QUOTE=Terry Hatfield]OK, here's the REAL story. I have a never ending supply of dustless wood.

t[/QUOT

Ya & I'm standing on a 40' tall step ladder.

Bart Leetch
03-17-2004, 9:08 AM
David

I think Terry has started collecting saw bugs & has trained them to eat the sawdust as they do the sawing for him. If you'll notice when your in his shop its real quiet there. The saw bugs don't make much noise, in fact you don't ever hear them but with Terry's training their real clean little suckers. However some of the saw bugs still don't like to eat sawdust their punishment is the keep the silver moaning saw bug cage in the corner running so it can suck up the rest of the sawdust that they won't eat.

Now who says wood workers don't have imaginations. Or can't spin tall tales. To read the tales about Terry & his shop you'll have to sit on a 40' step ladder.

David Rose
03-17-2004, 4:42 PM
Bart, the pieces are finally coming together about Terry's shop. He is always with me when I'm in his shop, so I've never heard it quiet anyway. :rolleyes: But I have heard what the bugs sound like when they are sucking in the Silver Moaning Saw Bug Cage! Man, when they get angry they really throw up a fuss.

But something doesn't quite "jive" about your "40' ladder" story. Terry is helping me build one of those Silver Moaning Saw Bug Cages. I know a couple of guys who have them and their shops are not sterile. Does Terry only furnish the defective bugs with the cyclone?

Last question for the moment, if Terry is furnishing defective bugs, would it be unethical or unsportsmanlike to steal a pair of his breeders? Oh, and last last question... if it is not considered evil to steal in this case, how do you sex them?

Bart, you really do have an imagination. But what has it got to do with this discussion?

David who mostly only has bugs in his computers

David

I think Terry has started collecting saw bugs & has trained them to eat the sawdust as they do the sawing for him. If you'll notice when your in his shop its real quiet there. The saw bugs don't make much noise, in fact you don't ever hear them but with Terry's training their real clean little suckers. However some of the saw bugs still don't like to eat sawdust their punishment is the keep the silver moaning saw bug cage in the corner running so it can suck up the rest of the sawdust that they won't eat.

Now who says wood workers don't have imaginations. Or can't spin tall tales. To read the tales about Terry & his shop you'll have to sit on a 40' step ladder.