PDA

View Full Version : wood question found pictures finaly

curtis rosche
03-01-2008, 11:21 AM
has anyone ever tried turning those trees that seem to be growing every where that has green and red leaves gray smoothe bark a large tan center/pith thingy and grow very very quickly? i have a bunch of them and wondered if they can turn i even have some with what might be burl its a crown like formation on the bark.... the first picture the orange branch in the middle.....this is the new growth from just this year the others are of the bark and of the burl/crown that it gets

Richard Madison
03-01-2008, 1:19 PM
Curtis,
If you show a picture of the tree and say approximately where you live, someone in your area of the country will recognize it.

curtis rosche
03-01-2008, 1:45 PM
live in pa

Ben Gastfriend
03-01-2008, 4:15 PM
Black Gum
(Nyssa sylvatica Marshall)
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/FORESTRY/commontr/images/BlackGum.gif

LEAVES: Alternate, simple, 2"-5" long, oval with entire and slightly thickened margins, dark green and shiny above, often downy beneath, turning vivid red in early autumn.
TWIGS: Smooth grayish to reddish brown, pith white and chambered, buds round, pointed and reddish brown, ¼" long.
FRUIT: A dark blue berry, 1/3"-2/3" long, 1-seeded with thin flesh, borne singly or 2-3 in a cluster, ripening in autumn.
BARK: Grayish, smooth to scaly, darker gray, thick and fissured into quadrangular blocks forming what is called "alligator bark" on very old trunks.
GENERAL: Also called Black tupelo, this is usually a medium sized tree, to 40' in height on dry slopes and ridge tops, but it can reach 100' and 5' in diameter in moist areas along streams. Most common in the southeast and southcentral portions of the state it is rarer in the northern tier counties. The wood is difficult to split and is used for boxes, fuel and railroad ties. The fruits, twigs and foliage provide food for many birds and animals. The brilliant red autumn color and abundant blue fruit make this species an interesting ornamental planting.

This looks like it fits your description. If it is Black Gum, I'm pretty sure it turns well.

Skip Spaulding
03-01-2008, 4:43 PM
IF you can't turn it burn it!

Dennis Peacock
03-01-2008, 6:02 PM
IF you can't turn it burn it!

I've never came across any wood I can't turn. Black Gum or even Sweet Gum turns very nicely. Get it....turn it and have fun. :D

curtis rosche
03-01-2008, 7:09 PM
got pictures finaly

Paul Douglass
03-01-2008, 7:23 PM
Alder? Does it split real easily?

curtis rosche
03-01-2008, 7:31 PM
im not sure but it probably does split easy its hard to burn because it takes a long time to light once its dry ou can braek a 4in peice in half with a hammer and it breaks cleanly

Bill Lantry
03-01-2008, 8:06 PM
From the description, my guess is sumac. Does it grow in stands or groups? I don't think anything grows faster... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

curtis rosche
03-01-2008, 9:27 PM
where it grows theres always alot unless you take em out so are they good turning?

David Pearson
03-01-2008, 9:34 PM
I live in PA also and it looks and sounds like sumac.

curtis rosche
03-02-2008, 9:36 AM
any one ever tried turning it now that we now what it is

robert hainstock
03-02-2008, 3:56 PM
Someone posted a sumac turning recently, and I knew a carver who made a pretty good living carving small figures out of it. Carvers in my area also look for the pieces that curve coming out of the ground for walking sticks. FWIW. :)
Bob