PDA

View Full Version : Hello to all

Mike Christen
03-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Hello everyone

This is my first post on the forum. I have been doing graphic work with rotary cnc equipment over the last few years, I built and/or cnc'd most of them. I just got a new laser, well actually it's an old Epilog summit 25 watt. I have been going through the threads on this forum for the last week starting from the oldest and working my way forward to learn all I can. Lot's of good information here and I'm learning more and more daily. Hope I can contribute in some way down the road.

I do have a couple of questions and maybe someone can help.

I have no manual for the summit, I'm working on getting one but no luck so far. What would really be nice is also to have a service manual since I'm very technically oriented and the summit is so old it may be required to keep it up.

The second question would be is there any place to get parts, is there a laser junk yard? I would also like to see if there is a way to up the wattage with installing a new or used tube.

Anyways, hello to all
Mike

Bill Cunningham
03-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Hello Mike welcome to the creek... I don't think Epilog completely abandons older machines as far as service is concerned.. They still might be your best bet for info and parts..

Chuck Mitchell
03-01-2008, 10:50 PM
Hey Mike... I would contact Roy Brewer, he is a contributor to the creek and is a rep for Epilog... www.engravingconcepts.com (http://www.engravingconcepts.com)

Goodluck:D

Roy Brewer
03-03-2008, 12:18 AM
I would contact Roy Brewer, he is a contributor to the creek and is a rep for Epilog... Mike,

I'm checking now to see if we have an extra Summit manual. As such, a techical specs manual was never released for the Summit.

Mike Christen
03-03-2008, 9:07 AM
Hi Roy

Thanks, I appreciate it.

So far so good with the summit. The only problem is vector cutting; it is very steppy on circle cuts and the cut does not end where it starts. I understand that this was not a strong suit with the early lasers but I hope I can improve it. I currently have firmware version 5.1, does version 5.3 have any benefits and is there any way to upgrade? One thing I need asap is a vector table, and to rig up an air assist.

Thanks to all for the help and advise.

Mike

Brian Robison
03-03-2008, 9:34 AM
Mike, if it's like the Mini, try to increase your dpi.
Some will say that it doesn't mater, I've tried a circle at 75 dpi, trust me, it does matter on my Mini for a vector cut! Doesn't make sense but.........

Peck Sidara
03-03-2008, 4:33 PM
Hello Mike,

Welcome aboard, I'm certain you'll find a wealth of information thru the creek. Your best bet for parts and questions on the Summit is our technical support group. Your machine may be 10+ years old but we still offer free technical support via phone on this system.

Owners Manual? We got it, call tech support at 303.215.9171
Firmware upgrade? We got that too (if applicable/available), thru the same phone number.

Mr. Brewer is very knowledgable on this particular unit but who else better to get answers from than the manufacturer.

Give us a call, we'd be more than happy to assist.

Roy Brewer
03-03-2008, 8:42 PM
I currently have firmware version 5.1, does version 5.3 have any benefits and is there any way to upgrade?Mike,
I don't recall the difference between 5.1 and 5.3. I don't think, however, that there was any change in vector cutting. That vintage system was before flash upgrades were a possibility. Upgrades are possible by replacing a pair of EPROMs; quite painless, *but* I'm not sure Epilog still carries an inventory of the EPROMs(it's been years since anyone asked). If you are speaking with tech support check with them (or Peck may chime in with the answer). In the meantime I'll eMail the tech queue and get an answer.

***added later**** Peck is right; direct contact with tech support and their extensive database of answers to questions like these is the best resource. Some, however, with full time plus jobs would rather ask a question in the wee hours of the morning and catch one of us distributors with a recollection or solution.

Larry Bratton
03-04-2008, 8:02 PM
Hello Mike,

Welcome aboard, I'm certain you'll find a wealth of information thru the creek. Your best bet for parts and questions on the Summit is our technical support group. Your machine may be 10+ years old but we still offer free technical support via phone on this system.

Owners Manual? We got it, call tech support at 303.215.9171
Firmware upgrade? We got that too (if applicable/available), thru the same phone number.

Mr. Brewer is very knowledgable on this particular unit but who else better to get answers from than the manufacturer.

Give us a call, we'd be more than happy to assist.
and she's 10 yrs old and still workin! That's why Epilog is tops in my book! Wonder what it will be like 10 yrs from now for a Chinese product?

Mike Christen
03-11-2008, 8:21 AM
Thanks everyone for all your help, I'm very glad I found this forum with the wisdom and experience of all of you.

Sorry it's taken me so long to acknowledge your suggestions and help, it's been very crazy lately. I have two jobs and I'm trying to start a business so I get a kind of busy at times.

Brian - increasing the DPI made a big difference, seems strange that it would affect vector cuts but it does on mine too.

I found a manual and I’m currently working on the air assist, seems if I want to vector cut it is a requirement.

Thanks Again

Mike