PDA

View Full Version : Taliban granite.

Rick Potter
03-01-2008, 2:28 AM
So, here I am looking at our nice new granite windowsills which were just installed in our patio room, and along comes the electrician who says ....."hey, I see you got some of that Taliban granite.

Well, not knowing if I even heard him right, I ask "Watcha talkin about John?". Well, turns out he had just bought some granite counters for his house, and he ran into some just like ours (Black with brownish and reddish flecks) and finding out it ran less money that others he had looked at, he asked why.

He was told that it was quarried in Afghanistan, and part of the money goes to the taliban.

Rick Potter

Rob Bourgeois
03-01-2008, 8:56 AM
Think about that for a second. They are not in power in Afganistan and or outlaws. Do you really think that they can carry on Legal trade?

IT could be from Afganistan or maybe prior to their removal they benefited but not now. My guess...urban legend.

John Shuk
03-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Don't know how true the connection to the Taliban is but I am amazed that it can be much cheaper to buy granite from around the world for much less than it can be sourced here.
In Yonkers, NY they did a huge waterfront revitalization project and all of the curbing and other granite was quarried and milled in China. For anyone who knows Yonkers, it is mostly built on top of..... you guessed it granite.

Pat Germain
03-01-2008, 8:21 PM
No offense to the electrician, but that statement is utterly ridiculous. The Taliban are a bunch of rebels on the run fighting in small pockets in Afghanistan and hiding out in Pakistan. I'm pretty sure they never did any granite mining in the first place, but you can be absolutely certain they're not doing it now. Even if they were, there's no way your money to could end up in their hands. It's not like granite is being packed on mules and sold on the black market. This story has all the markings of a salesman trying to steer customers away from the less expensive granite. "Oh, don't buy that. It's from the Taliban!".

Now, if you're buying heroin, that's another story...

Rick Potter
03-01-2008, 9:39 PM
since it's already installed and paid for, I am gonna agree with you guys. I figured it was some sales con, but thought I would check with the panel for authenticity.

I suspect the granite he looked at may have come from Afghanistan, and the story grew from there. HEY....I got it. It was made from the rubble of blown up Buddhist statues..there's the Taliban connection.

Thank you
Rick Potter

John Shuk
03-02-2008, 11:34 AM
The truth is with a global marketplace no matter what you buy some of the money may go to people you would prefer not to do business with. It's the nature of the beast.