PDA

View Full Version : Fixing upper shaft pin on band saw...please help!!!

Daniel McCurdy
03-01-2008, 12:19 AM
Bought a barely used G1019 14" band saw as part of a package deal about a year ago. I think this saw was maybe used once. The upper shaft pin is broken. I ordered and received the replacement hinge. I can't seem to figure out how to remove the shaft from the original hinge. Appears to be some sort of pin holding it in. Odd thing is that there's no hole on the new hinge for a pin like that.

Can someone provide some instructions on how to go about fixing this? Sorry for the crappy pictures.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x270/dmmccurdy/Bandsawhinge2.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x270/dmmccurdy/Bandsawhinge.jpg

Chris Bruno
03-01-2008, 12:25 AM
Is there a hole on the other side that may allow you to use a punch to push the pin out?

Since the old hinge is broken anyways, I'd just use a hacksaw to cut into it up to the shaft - and do this two times in places as much opposite each other as possible. Then you should be able to remove the cast pieces without damaging the shaft.

Drilling a new hole for the set pin should be a pretty easy task but you will want to try to do it with the shaft in place so that you get correct alignment.

Good luck!
-Chris

Ken Fitzgerald
03-01-2008, 12:30 AM
Daniel,

I'd try grinding around the pin to expose enough of the pin to grab it with a pair of vice grips and pull it out.

If that fails I'd try drilling it out with a drill bit that is just slightly larger than the pin.

Then press out the the shaft.

Press or tap the shaft into the new hinge using a hammer and block of wood. Align the existing pin hole perpendicular to the way it is in the current hinge. Drill a new hole and repin it with a new pin.

Dave Verstraete
03-01-2008, 8:24 AM
Dan
I think the hack saw or Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel would get the shaft out of the hinge without damaging it. Then maybe when you pull off the remaining piece with the pin in it, the pin will come with it. It appears to be a roll pin (split pin). I have not had much luck drilling those out. Like Ken said, if you can get enough of a pliers on it, it should pull out.

Chris has the right idea with the shaft in the hinge before drilling a new roll pin (available at any hardware store) I think that I would try for a fresh spot on the pin rather than trying to match up to the old. The pin is quite small in comparison to the shaft and I don't think that another hole would weaken it a lot. Is the shaft hardened? You can test that with a file. If a file bites into it, it's not that hard and can be drilled with a normal twist bit.

Jack Briggs
03-01-2008, 8:29 AM
P0555035 UPPER WHEEL SHAFT HINGE ASSY $11.00

Why not just replace the whole assembly?

Daniel McCurdy
03-01-2008, 9:23 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. Seems simple enough. I'll report back with how it goes.

P0555035 UPPER WHEEL SHAFT HINGE ASSY $11.00

Why not just replace the whole assembly?

Jack, interesting you mention this. I went straight to the parts list for the G1019 since that's which saw it is. I'm willing to bet the hinge is the same that would be on the current G0555 (something I just didn't think of looking into when they still carried parts for the G1019).

I got part# P1019019 Listed as 'shaft hinge' on the parts list, but reads 'upper wheel shaft hinge' on the invoice. The part you list P0555035 is titled 'upper wheel hinge'. Maybe I missed it, but is there a part listed as a already assembled hinge and shaft?

P1019019 was $9.50, so maybe there's something different about P0555035?

Anyone know?

Thomas Williams
03-01-2008, 9:40 AM
I looked at the on-line parts list for the G1019 and I did not see a pin with the hinge and shaft. If it were me, I would call Grizzly tech support and see if they have any advice regarding the new hinge and installation.
As to removing shaft from the old hinge, cut it off as others have suggested. Just be careful not to scar the shaft with your cutting tool.
Good luck and keep the post updated as to the resolution.

Jack Briggs
03-02-2008, 8:44 AM
Thomas,

Where did you find the G1019 parts list online? They don't list the machine any longer. All I found when entering the model # in the search box were 2 parts: ball bearing guides and extension block for that model.

Daniel -

I think in the G0555 diagram they sell the assembly rather than all parts individually, except for the hinge pins (2). I bought this wheel shaft hinge assembly for my old tired Total Shop (obsolete) 14" import BS. It's the same part for my machine, so I'm assuming they're pretty universal for 14 Delta clones. If in doubt call Grizzly's Tech Support - they're really good about getting you any info you need.

Cheers,

Thomas Williams
03-02-2008, 8:57 AM
I went to the Grizzly home page and clicked on the product manual link. The G1019 manual and parts list were available. Here is the link to the parts list.
http://www.grizzly.com/images/partslists/g1019_pl.pdf