PDA

View Full Version : Workbenches by Christpher Schwarz

Steven DeMars
02-29-2008, 11:42 PM
I'm sure some of you have purchased the excellent book "WORKBENCHES from Design & Theory to Construction & Use" as I have.

After reading the book I realized that a accompanying CD came with the book if purchased from a select group of vendors specializing in woodworking tools & supplies. Although, I bought mine from a book vendor. I really wanted the CD.

I contacted the publisher and they allowed me to purchase the CD which contains complete text and drawings of the book, complete plans, step by step photos, interactive 3-D models & slide shows of the construction of two the workbenches on the deluxe CD.

The CD is available for $10 to anyone who has already bought the book. For details, you can e-mail john@lostartpress.com (john@lostartpress.com).

You will have to confirm that you have bought the book.

Steven DeMars
03-01-2008, 9:11 PM
The book can be had in hardback or soft back . . . .

The reason I have posted this is as an new woodworker I was very excited when I found a real workbench that could be built for less than the price of cabinet saw. When you are new there are not a whole lot of things you can talk about to such a knowledgeable bunch.

I'm starting mine this week . . . .:)

Peter Quinn
03-01-2008, 9:22 PM
Thanks Christopher..I have the book and love it..love to have the cd too. Nice tip.

Ever read Modern Pratical Jointery by George Ellis? Lots of diagrams of 1900's era english work benches...one common theme...professional woodworkers of the past rarely if ever made fancy benches using exotic hardwoods at great expense. Benches were tools made of cheap readily available local wood to maximize utility and minimize expense.

Seems WORKBENCHES seconds and revives that notion.

Peter Quinn
03-01-2008, 9:23 PM
Sorry Stephen, I replaced your name with the authors! Anyway, thanks for that tip.