PDA

View Full Version : question of what tools to get (chuck and bandsaw, lathe tools)

curtis rosche
02-29-2008, 8:48 PM
im looking to get a chuck and a bandsaw whats the best ones to get that arent exspensive and a set of good lathe tools hat wont dull of be exspensive

Richard A. Rivera, M.D.
02-29-2008, 9:54 PM
As the saying goes...you get what you pay for...

I got the barrracud2 from PSI. it comes with some extra jaws and for my first chuck it has performed very well. I think the apprentice chuck set from Craft Supply is the exact chuck...they sure look and are priced about the same. I now have a Supernove2 and it is a better made chuck...but then again..you get what you pay for.

Bernie Weishapl
02-29-2008, 10:16 PM
I have the apprentice chuck from CSUSA and also 3 of the $99 Grizzly chucks. I would say if you are going to cut wood for turning I would not get less than 1 1/2 hp. I have the Grizzly G0555 which is around $469 shipped and the riser block which will give you a 12" cut for another $59.95. I use a timberwolf 1/2" 3 tpi blade for cutting green wood. Sometimes I wish I had put more money out and bought bigger but I just have to have patience when cutting big logs. My first set of tools bought was from PSI and were a set of 8 for $59.95. I still use all of them today 2 yrs. later.

Gordon Seto
02-29-2008, 11:50 PM
What are the best tools for you depends on the scale of turning you do. If you are going to do 20" bowls, a small chuck may not be what you want for obvious safety reason. If you are going to turn on a mini/midi lathe, then a heavy chuck is not a good match either. You have shown us some of your beautiful works, what additional tools you have in mind?
I also have the same band saw as Bernie has. If you have a lot of blanks to cut and you are short in time, then you should consider a bigger hp one.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-01-2008, 12:21 AM
Not expensive is relative.

I spent $2700 on my bandsaw but it's a lot cheaper than some of the big ones out there. I do think though, it'll be around for my two sons to argue over when I'm gone.

Based on discussions here I'd say a Rikon or Grizzley would be the ones to look at for most bang for your money.

Chucks....PSI's barracuda.....CSUSA inhouse chuck.....then you start getting into the more expensive ones.....I have a SN2.

Keep in mind that someday you may want to upgrade your lathe. Will your chuck upgrade too? My SN2 was given to me by the inmates here when they shoved me into the Vortex 2 years ago. When I bought my PM 3520b in September, I ordered an adapter for $18 IIRC and it now works on my Jet Mini or my PM3520B.

Brian Poor
03-01-2008, 8:58 AM
im looking to get a chuck and a bandsaw whats the best ones to get that arent exspensive and a set of good lathe tools hat wont dull of be exspensive

How large are the pieces you want to turn?

What is your experience level?

What do you consider expensive?

Knowing these things will help us point you in the right direction.

Fred Conte
03-01-2008, 9:43 AM
Curtis I have the Baracuda II (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/csc3000c.html)and a set of Benjamins Best (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lxwm1007.html)both from PSI. Amazon.com sells the Baracuda II (http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworking-CSC3000C-Barracuda-System/dp/B000KIACTG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1204382399&sr=8-1)also and a cheaper with free shipping than PSI.

I also picked up a set of HF turning tools (the red handled ones) to practice sharpening but also to modify into scrapers, etc.

HTH - Fred

robert hainstock
03-01-2008, 10:02 AM
Benjamens Best from PSI, any 14 in saw with riser, (delta, grizzly or jet) And again the Barracuda chuck. :)
Bob

curtis rosche
03-01-2008, 11:25 AM
so pretty much the best chucks are barracuda 1 and II or supernove I or II tools that are hss and a 6inch saw with riser bar

Skip Spaulding
03-01-2008, 4:40 PM
Don't forget something to sharpen those tools on! An 8" grinder and good jig sure help. You're going to love it!

Hilel Salomon
03-01-2008, 6:18 PM
Curtis,

The ones you mentioned are not the best chucks, but rather great inexpensive ones. I think that generally, turners who work on larger projects would rank the Vicmarc 120, Oneway Stronghold, Supernova2, Vicmarc 100, Oneway talon in descending order as the "best chucks." As for Benjamin Best tools, they too are good inexpensive ones, but you'll get very varied opinions about the absolute best. My own taste runs Hamlet, Crown, Sorby, Taylor, but I've heard raves about the Thompson tools and plan on adding them to my collection. I think that it is a good idea to start low, but don't spend too much time before you upgrade.
Luck, Hilel.