PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on my first 2 blades?

Brian Kent
02-29-2008, 7:20 PM
I am almost ready to buy the Grizzly 17” G0513X2 bandsaw (though I have been “almost ready” since the beginning of the year!)

I want to start with two good blades – one for curves and one for resawing. I have been reading a lot of threads for recommendation and see Timberwolf and Lenox and Woodslicer come up a lot.

What size blade and what tooth count do I want for these two basic functions? The saw can handle 1/8” to 1”, and I do not want any blade this time around that requires new blade guides or any other modification. Just the basics! I’ll fill gaps with specialty blades at some future time.

Thanks in advance.

Brian Kent

glenn bradley
02-29-2008, 7:30 PM
The folks at Suffolk set me up with a 3/4", 2-3T for resaw, a 1/4", 6T for thick hardwood curves and 1/4", 10T for finer work and softwoods . . . like Reindeer.

All the blades have been great. I'm going to try a 1/2" of some sort as I felt it moved a little faster for resaw on my old saw and have heard others say the same. I would think you give up a bit of accuracy for speed but, I'll post when I find out.

Dennis Peacock
02-29-2008, 8:14 PM
I've tried several types of blades from a few different vendors of blades. I've found that the blades I get from Suffolk Machinery (Timberwolf) are the best blades I've ever used. Cuts great, excellent service, good prices, and the cutting edges seem to last longer.

Brian Kent
02-29-2008, 10:41 PM
1/4" and 3/4" were my guesses. I checked out the Suffolk website and obviously I'll have to get their advise on which specific blade.

What kind of blades are these - silicon steel? Bi-metal? Are we talking about $20-30 or $50-60 per blade?

John Browne
03-01-2008, 12:41 AM
Brian, that's a great saw--I have the G0513 with upgraded guides and it's a terrific saw, even without the improvements in the X2.

I've got TW blades in 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, and 1". The 1/2 is a nice resaw blade, the 1" was disappointing, but I haven't tried it since I upgraded the guides (which made a big difference). Lately I got a 3/4 var pitch woodslicer from Highland Hardware, and wow, it's a great resaw blade. Highly recommended. At some point I'll go for either a Lenox carbide-tipped resaw blade or a Laguna Resaw King (carbide). Both are great, I hear.

Brian Kent
03-01-2008, 12:51 AM
I'll wait on the carbide tipped blades. I don't want to sell the saw just so I can afford a blade:D.