PDA

View Full Version : Coming in February??

Fred Voorhees
02-29-2008, 6:43 PM
I was anxiously awaiting the release of the news of the anticipated new additions to this site which would have allowed contributing members to build their own blog and picture site through the new server. Today is the last day in February and these things were supposedly going to be available in February. I noticed for the first time today that the "sticky" proclaiming the upcoming new additions is now gone. Anyone care to give up the news on what's up?

Keith Outten
02-29-2008, 8:24 PM
Fred,

We are still waiting for vBulletin 3.7 to come out of Beta testing. Aaron is ready to install the Blog software and he will probably do it soon as the Blog software isn't part of the upgrade.

The photo galleries are the big feature in vBulletin 3.7 plus the new User CP which each Member can customize. There are new accounting features in the upgrade that we are looking forward to be able to implement here and two pages of other goodies/improvements.

In five years I don't think I have ever seen vBulletin take this long to bring an upgrade out of beta testing.

Matbe Tomorrow?

:)

Fred Voorhees
02-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the update Keith. I am looking forward to the new improvements and personally, I intend to jump right in.;)

Mitchell Andrus
02-29-2008, 11:18 PM
Blog??? I kinda thought the forum was a blog, of sorts. What'll we do on a blog that isn't being done here?

Keith Outten
03-01-2008, 7:38 AM
Mitchell,

I'm not a Blogger so I can't answer your question. All I know is that Blogs are popular and we have the capability to host them here with an add-on module for vBulletin. I'm told the Blog software works much like our Forums do so everyone should be familiar with the interface.

Jim Becker
03-01-2008, 9:01 AM
A general difference between a BLOG and a forum is that on a BLOG you have a primary content publisher (or a limited number of folks providing content) and, if the owner allows, commentary by others. Only the BLOG owners can start a topic. In a forum, anyone can start a topic.

Stuart Johnson
03-01-2008, 12:49 PM
If only the Blog owner can start the topic who will handle all of the removal because the moderators don't like the topic?

Fred Voorhees
03-01-2008, 3:43 PM
A blog is oftentimes a website that is dedicated to one person and his or her lifes experiences. At least that is what I have used a previous blog as. Some folks use their blog as sort of a daily journal. A blog can be used in a variety of ways. In my opinion, a blog is darned near nothing like a forum. Yes, in a blog, it can be set up to accept comments....and my former one was. But I really don't associate a blog with a forum. A forum has many participants...a blog, basically just one. Others can access the blog with the right address, but for the most part, have nothing to do with its content.

Here is my previous blog which I have basically abandoned. They changed the parameters that were needed to build the site and I chose not to go any further with it. That is one of the reasons why I have been waiting for the new addition here at SMC.

My previous blog - http://leatheruppers.blogspot.com/