PDA

View Full Version : Commissioned WWs take on new work

Craig D Peltier
02-29-2008, 5:47 PM
Has the new work coming in slowed down ?
Me and another guy in the last 1.5 months have noticed a large drop in new business for furniture, built ins , mantles etc. Im not talking whats been on the books fo rmonths.See more and more people getting several bids.
I also spoke to a carpenter back east (mass) an his boss told him he was lucky he was working, alot arent.

Anybody else feel this crunch?

Greg Heppeard
02-29-2008, 6:24 PM
I suggest contacting some interior designers. They do most of the running around getting the jobs and pass them on to their furniture/cabinet makers. I'm sure they could always use another one available to do things at times.

Steve Clardy
02-29-2008, 7:33 PM
No slow down here for me.

Booked through June right now.

jeremy levine
03-03-2008, 10:19 AM
I can tell you that when the housing market on this coast was way out of hand ( over priced ) everyone was making additions and upgrades rather then trying to find a new home. With the big drop in the market we are probably seeing a big drop in the addition/renovation market.... Just a thought.

Jeffrey Makiel
03-03-2008, 1:04 PM
I understand that sales are down at Home Depot and Lowes. That must be saying something.

-Jeff :)

Craig D Peltier
03-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Yeah I usually get all my work through referrals or craigslist. Now im posting flyers at large local tech company that helps. Plus im putting many more adds on craigslist. Its still slow but I was able to eek out two jobs for now.
The economy up here doesnt seem bad. Although paying gas is slowly killing us, not filling up the tank but going for joy rides. My wife paid 3.73 yesterday for 92 and got 10 cents off so 3.63.:mad:

Thats real bad, I feel like we are moving towards europe cost with pennys as currency.

Chris Padilla
03-04-2008, 2:17 PM
I understand that sales are down at Home Depot and Lowes. That must be saying something.

-Jeff :)

I just dropped 5 c-notes at Lowe's last Friday evening picking up a load of base and case molding for my living room remodel. I did have the aisle all to myself and spent 1 1/2 hours culling out the best pieces I could find (pre-primed finger-jointed pine moldings from Chile!).

I then spent the weekend fixing up blemishes and painting it (spraying) and am now in the process of installing it. :)