PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a truck bed cap/shell

Jess Wetherhold
02-29-2008, 5:27 PM
I am having trouble searching for bed caps for a 2004 Ford f150.
Any advice would be great. I am looking for a something fairly simple, cheap and doesn't have to be new.
Thanks!

Joe Pelonio
02-29-2008, 6:52 PM
Start with your local Craigslist, they are often for sale. Otherwise I;'m sure there are many dealers in your area, and some may have used ones. My son picked up a fiberglass canopy for his truck used for $100. Even the wreckers should have them.

I opted for a tonneau on my Ranger, that tilts open for about $300 and love it, real easy to remove myself for tall hauling (Extang Fulltilt).

Jess Wetherhold
03-01-2008, 1:17 PM
Thanks Joe. If I was going to go new I was hoping that someone here would lend a suggestion of where to go. A certain franchise etc...

Joe Pelonio
03-01-2008, 1:48 PM
I can't help with that, since we're over a thousand miles apart, but search for
"Leer dealer san diego" or something like that. Leer is a well respected maker of canopies.

Jim O'Dell
03-01-2008, 2:11 PM
There are some national companies like Leer, but there are also a lot of mom and pop shops that build these things. My camper shell came from a place called Cowtown Fiberglass, here in, well, Cowtown. :D I'd look in the phone book or even on line for "truck accessories". They will have access to these and the hard tonneau covers. Jim.

Nancy Laird
03-01-2008, 2:44 PM
We have a SnugTop on our F150, and it has been the handiest thing. It cuts down on wind drag, saving gas and improving gas mileage (at least a tad). It locks down with two corner locks and you can NOT get into it without unlocking it. We have taken several trips in the truck and all our luggage will fit (along with a lot of other things), and no one ever knows what's under that "lid." Strong recommendations.

Nancy

Jim Becker
03-01-2008, 3:19 PM
I had a Leer on my Tundra...excellent cap.

Curt Harms
03-01-2008, 4:15 PM
I've had Ford Rangers since 1984 or 85. I always had fiberglass caps on 'em. My current Ranger (since 2002) has had a cover from Advance Cover http://advancecover.com/ My reason for this was to have better side and rear visibility, and to be able to load higher loads. The divided panels are nice because I usually only have to open the rear panel. They can all be removed pretty easily if so desired. An added advantage is that whatever is in the back is not visible to casual observers. I've heard of people with caps parking a truck full of tools at home or at a home center or other store, going inside and coming back to an empty truck bed. If they can't see what's inside....

Just my experience.

Curt

Curt Doles
03-05-2008, 6:50 PM
I've had the vinyl covers and would not reccommend them for cold weather climates.

My current Dodge has a fiberglass, hinged cover, the only down side there is if you want to haul something taller than the opened dimension or something loaded from the side like gravel , mulch, it needs to be removed. Mine weighs 160 lbs, so it's a two person job.

Technically, the ones that sort of fold or the rolltop type SEEM like they would be the best solution, but they are probably a lot more money?

I have been really happy with mine, I'd go the same route again, after investigating the rollups.

Good Luck,

Curt

skip coyne
03-05-2008, 7:01 PM
I see cap worlds around , never stopped

http://www.capworld.com/

like Joe suggested I see them cheap on craigs list or you might want to try eBay and limit your search to 60 or 75 miles

I have a aluminum contractor cap on my t-100 both sides open , I really like that feature , I had a standard cap on my c-10 and I was always having to climb in to get something in the back