PDA

View Full Version : Leigh Vacuum & Router Support

Rocky Ragano
02-29-2008, 5:00 PM
I have a Leigh dovetail jig and I'm considering buying the Leigh vacuum & router support attachment. This seems like an effective dust collecting arrangement, but I'm wondering how well it works and how awkward it may be to use. Has anyone had any experience with this attachment?

Thanks,
Rocky

Mike Spanbauer
02-29-2008, 5:13 PM
Own it, love it. It works fairly well.

Was a huge reduction in the mess I created during DT operations.

mike

Dave Bureau
02-29-2008, 5:47 PM
I got one last week and tried it out. It worked very good. problem is that i like to look at what I'm doing under the machine and that limits the view. I'm going to change to a clear router base. That should help. as far as the vac goes, it does work.
Dave

Rocky Ragano
02-29-2008, 7:01 PM
Thanks for the feedback, folks. I like to see what I'm doing, too when I'm routing. I could never get the hang of going just by feel.

Jim Becker
02-29-2008, 9:25 PM
I have a Leigh dust port that I've used with both a PC and a Dewalt router with success. It does, however, interfere with the view as Dave points out, so I rarely use it. Instead, I put on my turning smock to keep the stuff out of my shirt and just cut...

Chris Rosenberger
02-29-2008, 11:30 PM
I have one & think it is great. The dust collection is very good & I really like not having to lift the router off of the jig after cutting each piece. Just slide the router to the side & change pieces. I never looked at the cut so not being able to see has not been a problem. I would never want to use the jig without it again.

Rocky Ragano
03-01-2008, 4:02 AM
Yeah, Jim, I use a smock, too. Yet, somehow, wood chips still manage to get behind it. Good comments from you folks, now I'm really on the fence.

Jim Becker
03-01-2008, 9:36 AM
Rocky, the smock I use is from Packard Woodworks...the soft knit collar completely seals without choking me and the smock, itself, is a nylon material that chips fall off of. I never get anything down my neck when wearing it! Two versions...summer with no sleeves and winter with sleeves. Best smocks I ever found...and nice people to do business with.

Rocky Ragano
03-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Rocky, the smock I use is from Packard Woodworks...the soft knit collar completely seals without choking me and the smock, itself, is a nylon material that chips fall off of. I never get anything down my neck when wearing it! Two versions...summer with no sleeves and winter with sleeves. Best smocks I ever found...and nice people to do business with.

Jim, thanks. I think I'll check them out.