PDA

View Full Version : sawsmith radial arm saw

Don Liechty
02-29-2008, 4:55 PM
I have a 1965 vintage Sawsmith RAS and the motor has a problem. I cannot find a replacement motor. Does anyone have any ideas or even an another saw that I could buy and use the motor.

Steve Clardy
02-29-2008, 7:47 PM
What about taking it to a electric motor repair shop and have it checked out to see what is wrong with it first

Don Liechty
03-01-2008, 8:25 AM
I've been to two shops and the answer is get a new motor. The relay is obsolete and mkotor has smoked!!!

J. Z. Guest
03-01-2008, 10:47 AM
Don,

You say you have been unable to find a motor. Are you looking for the Sawsmith original part, or just something the same size?

Sawsmith has been out of business for many years, but machines that use induction motors rarely have (or had) non standard sizes.

Can you show us a pic of the markings on the motor nameplate? If not, can you type them in for us? If it is a NEMA frame motor, you should have no problem finding a replacement.

Also, you might want to fill out at least your geographic location in your User CP. If there's someone knowledgable about these things close to you, he might be willing to drop by and have a look-see if you just have a beer or two for him. I know I would. ;)

Edit: Everything I've read on Sawsmith says that if you can find one in working condition, buy one.

Randal Stevenson
03-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Don,

You say you have been unable to find a motor. Are you looking for the Sawsmith original part, or just something the same size?

Sawsmith has been out of business for many years, but machines that use induction motors rarely have (or had) non standard sizes.

Can you show us a pic of the markings on the motor nameplate? If not, can you type them in for us? If it is a NEMA frame motor, you should have no problem finding a replacement.

Also, you might want to fill out at least your geographic location in your User CP. If there's someone knowledgable about these things close to you, he might be willing to drop by and have a look-see if you just have a beer or two for him. I know I would. ;)

Edit: Everything I've read on Sawsmith says that if you can find one in working condition, buy one.

Radial arm saw motors, are not typically NEMA frame motors. They use a motor with a flat bottom, or top and bottom. I've seen a few DeWalts parted out over not being able to find a motor for it, or finding out it could be fixed (rewound) for way over the cost of finding a replacement saw (more then $400).
I hate to say, but your best bet, may be one of this SPECIFIC models websites, then places like the DeWalt radial arm saw forum, or Yahoo's radial arm saw forum.

Don Liechty
03-11-2008, 2:46 PM
GE model 5kc36pg 458
3450 rpm
1 1/8 hp
13.5 amps 60cycle 115 v
code J
sf 1.0

5 19/32 " Diameter