PDA

View Full Version : making an elegant lazy susan help

Hilel Salomon
02-29-2008, 4:44 PM
After accumulating several thin flat blanks and turning plates and platters... Yawn, yawn, I thought I would make some elegant lazy susans. Trouble is that all the mechanisms I have found require that one drill a hole through the base in order to attach the top part. Does anyone out there know how to avoid this short of gluing mechanism on???? Thanks,
Hilel

Bill Stevener
02-29-2008, 5:25 PM
Why must one drill a hole through the base. Can't you just drill shallow holes on the bottom side of the platter to attach the mechanism, with out drilling all the way through?? I wouldn't think it would take much to hold it on.
However, never maid one. :confused:

Cyril Griesbach
02-29-2008, 5:53 PM
As far as I know there is no other way to do it but since the hole is in the base and not the top what's the difference. That's my experience from the one I "maid" :D.

Joe Donohue
02-29-2008, 6:13 PM
I have used the round plastic turntables when I didn't want anything to show. Turn a recess in the top and bottom parts. A press fit is fine or you can glue them in.

They come in all sizes from about 4" to 12" diameter. Clear, white or black. Unless you want the small size, you have to buy 25 but they are pretty inexpensive. I have had no problem disposing of the excess at turning club meetings.

At Display Products:http://www.displayproducts.net/TrnTbls/TrnTbls.html

Joe Donohue

Hilel Salomon
02-29-2008, 7:15 PM
Bill,

If you attach the bottom part of the lazy susan device ,using screws, to a bottom plate, there isn't any way to do the same thing to the top part as the bottom plate covers the device. Joe's suggestion-recessing both top and bottom plates and then gluing them to the device-makes sense, although I'm reluctant to glue wood to plastic. If you've had luck with it Joe, I'll try it. Of course, I can drill a hole in the bottom plate and cover it up later, but that eliminates the elegance.
Thanks, Hilel.

Bill Stevener
02-29-2008, 8:42 PM
Well Hilel, I guess I will have to venture into making one some day so I know what it may look like, just something I have never tackled.

I would think epoxy should work.

Bill.

Jerry Pittman
03-01-2008, 8:22 AM
Hilel,
You could put one hole through the base at the point that it lines up with the screw holes in the top of the rotating part. Make the hole just large enough for your screwhead and phillips screwdriver shank. Install one screw, rotate base to next screwhold and repeat. Then you could even make a plug of the same material as the base and put it in the hole if you wanted.
HTH,
Jerry

Harvey M. Taylor
03-01-2008, 9:01 AM
Why worry about a small hole in the bottom of the piece? We dont paint the rafters of our house, do we?