PDA

View Full Version : 1-1/2" Red Oak Dowels - Needed

Dennis Peacock
03-06-2003, 10:38 PM
OK....I really need some help here. I am trying to find a supplier that offers <b>Red Oak Dowels that are 1-1/2" in diameter</b> and can be 3 feet or 4 feet long. These will be used for stool legs. I can easily find red oak dowels in the 1-1/4" size....but what about 1-1/2" size?

Can anyone help me find them?? I can glue up some stock and turn the stock on my lathe....I just don't want to do this for 20 stool legs.......

Bob Lasley
03-06-2003, 11:14 PM
Dennis,

Maybe we can locate some Saturday.

Bob

Todd Burch
03-07-2003, 12:07 AM
use a 3/4" roundover router bit on all four corners. Cut them a bit long so that you can ride a flat edge at all times.

Todd.

Lee Schierer
03-07-2003, 8:24 AM
I recently did a google search for dowels to locate 1/16" sized hardwood dowels and I found more places supplying dowels than you could shake a stick at. Wasn't looking for large sizes, but you could do the same search I used "hardwood dowels" I think there were about 7,000 hits.

Jim Izat
03-07-2003, 8:53 AM
Hey Dennis,

Couldn't you just laminate two 3/4" dowels together?

Jim Izat

Dave Richards
03-07-2003, 10:01 AM
Got a router table and a hand drill? Make your own dowels. Make a block of wood with a 1-1/2" hole through it. At 90° and near the front, drill a hole for a router bit. Core box, straight, doesn't matter much as long as it doesn't have a bearing on the bottom.

Clamp the block on the table over the router. Extend the bit so it is just tangent to the 1-1/2" hole. Take a square length of red oak, say 1-5/8" on a side. Whittle down one end so it will fit into the drill chuck. Chuck it up, turn on the router and start feeding the dowel stock into the hole like you're sharpening a pencil.

Dennis Peacock
03-07-2003, 10:14 AM
I have performed several Google searches....Most places only carry up to 1-1/4"........

Let me clear the waters......I am looking for DOWEL stock in 36 to 48 INCH length made out of Red Oak.......I don't want to make a 1-1/2" hole......I need the dowels to drill lots-o-holes in in which I will insert 3/4" red oak dowels for stretchers.....

Dave Richards
03-07-2003, 10:41 AM
Dennis, I understood that you want 1-1/2" dowels. I was telling you how to make them. The 1-1/2" hole in the block of wood is the die, so to speak, for making them.

Dennis Peacock
03-07-2003, 10:44 AM
OH!!!!!!!!!!! (slapping forehead).....:rolleyes:

I see what you mean now......Hm-m-m-m-m...I will have to give that a try.!! Sorry....I just misunderstood what you were saying.

Dave Richards
03-07-2003, 10:50 AM
'salright. Now, with rereading does it all make sense? I could make you a drawing if you'd like.

Dennis Peacock
03-07-2003, 10:55 AM
Actually.....I read it THREE MORE times......My question is....if the stock is square and too big to fit in there.....how do it work? I understand the pencil sharpening thing.....but 1-3/4" square stock won't fit in a 1-1/2" round hole.....at least not in my shop.:)

Dr. Zack Jennings
03-07-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Jim Izat
Hey Dennis,

Couldn't you just laminate two 3/4" dowels together?

Jim Izat

I think Jim has the answer to your prayers.
<center>Very Perceptive
Now why didn't I think of that. Jim, We don't pay you enough.

Dave Richards
03-07-2003, 11:15 AM
With the router bit right at the front of the hole it won't mater. You do need to whittle down the starting end a little to get it started.

If this picture posting works, here's a very quick drawing of what I'm thinking. I didn't actually get the hole for the router bit in the right place but hopefully you get the idea.

Jim Izat
03-07-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Zack Jennings
I think Jim has the answer to your prayers.
<center>Very Perceptive
Now why didn't I think of that. Jim, We don't pay you enough.

I'm hopin' everybody knows I was just kidding.

Jim Izat

(although all raises are gratefully accepted regardless of reason!)

Larry Guthrie
03-07-2003, 2:17 PM
Woodworker's Supply has them:
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=203-000

Kinda expensive!