PDA

View Full Version : Speed Wire! NEC

Tyler Howell
03-14-2004, 12:09 PM
Folks,
Question for you on NEC, specifically electrical receptacles and switches..
I know “speed wire” is legal. I’ve been avoiding the push in spring captive types for years because of the failure rate and reputation.
With the new modals the wire is actually captive with the set screw.
My question is it legal to use stranded wire on the screw captive devices??
Thanks.

TJH

Rob Russell
03-15-2004, 10:19 AM
Tyler,

The answer to this isn't so much in the NEC as it is the manufacturer's specs for the device. For example, if you look at Leviton's catalog, the industrial-rated devices are listed for both stranded and solid conductors whereas the residential grade (old style spring-loaded push-in) are only rated for #14 solid conductors.

So - read the box the receptacle comes in - that should specify what is acceptable for conductors with your receptacle.

Rob

Mark Singer
03-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Tyler,
Your exceeding the limits again! I think? Keep up the good work and no insider trading please.

Tyler Howell
03-15-2004, 12:51 PM
Tyler,

The answer to this isn't so much in the NEC as it is the manufacturer's specs for the device. For example, if you look at Leviton's catalog, the industrial-rated devices are listed for both stranded and solid conductors whereas the residential grade (old style spring-loaded push-in) are only rated for #14 solid conductors.

So - read the box the receptacle comes in - that should specify what is acceptable for conductors with your receptacle.

RobThanks Rob,
If all else fails RTFI:rolleyes: