PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 043 Band Saw

Brett Elliott
02-29-2008, 5:44 AM
Does anyone know anything about the model 043 band saw from Powermatic? I found a guy selling one, but I can't find any info on it. He doesn't have much info either. I think perhaps it was his father's saw, but I haven't confirmed that yet.

Any info would be great. When were they made? Were they good machines? How much resaw capacity? How much power? What lade size? How much should I expect to pay?

So many questions...

Thanks!
Brett

Kirk Poore
02-29-2008, 2:23 PM
It's probably a PM 143, which (IIRC) was a wood/metal cutting version of the 141. Very solid saw, 6" depth capacity, can't use a riser block. Condition is everything, and with the added complication of the gear box you need to check one more thing. If you need the wood-only capacity, it's probably fine. The OWWM.com site is down right now, but you could ask for more detail on OWWM.org discussion site if you don't get a response here.

Kirk

Brett Elliott
02-29-2008, 3:38 PM
It's not a 143. It's actually a 043. I managed to get a manual from Powermatic. I emailed them and they sent me a PDF a few hours later.

Thanks,
Brett

Brent Ring
02-29-2008, 3:40 PM
It's probably a PM 143, which (IIRC) was a wood/metal cutting version of the 141. Very solid saw, 6" depth capacity, can't use a riser block. Condition is everything, and with the added complication of the gear box you need to check one more thing. If you need the wood-only capacity, it's probably fine. The OWWM.com site is down right now, but you could ask for more detail on OWWM.org discussion site if you don't get a response here.

Kirk

I just got a 141, and am in the process of tuning and adjusting. Mine is a 1973. What are they asking for it, if I can ask? I got mine for $400. I have heard that, in the right market and in good shape, that saw of mine could go for another $150-200 over what I paid. It cuts well, I love it, and was congratulated on a major tool gloat. If the 143 is in decent shape, and the price is good, I would get it. I would not buy it wihout cutting on it first tho.