PDA

View Full Version : How to mess up a PM2000 on Day 1

Ben Brantley
02-29-2008, 2:33 AM
Hi all!

I just purchased a new PM2000 this morning. Due to some unexpected snafus with the unloading process (I'll spare you the details for now), I decided to disassemble the saw at home, still on the truck and the pallet, to make it easier to move the thing into my garage.

I removed the top (easy) but did not know to capture the location of the three copper shims. Oopsee. I guess I will have four possible shim configurations to test. :) Fortunately, the top is easy to put on and take off later.

Next, I removed the linkage arm that supports the riving knife. I thought I needed to do this, because I thought I needed to remove the dust shroud and tubing, because I thought I would need to remove the trunnion to make the thing light enough to move. (That last assumption was incorrect, as it happens; see below.)

Third, I removed the dust shroud and its tube. One convenient and one inconvenient hex bolt and it was off.

Finally, I removed the motor. Doing this required that I remove the belt as well as the wiring. The wiring was locked into the motor's wiring box with some kind of permanent (?) locking device. After ten minutes of fooling with it (prying, stabbing, pinching, etc.), I gave up and just cut the wire so I could get the thing out.

At this point, the saw was light enough for my father and I to ramp it down into the garage, obviating the original plan to remove the trunnion. (Thank goodness; it looked way more complicated than the other parts and like it would be much harder to get replaced and realigned correctly!)

After we got the saw in the (warm) garage, we set about reversing our steps. We re-mounted the motor (using a ceiling-mounted winch, by the way, which made it feasible instead of a pipe dream) and set the belt in place with an arbitrary amount of tension. That prompts question 1: how much tension should we have on this belt? The manual is useless for this kind of thing, and I can't find a technical or service manual online. (And what's up with that?)

Next, I rewired the motor. I had to break off the dumb, permanent plastic doohickey that rigidly held the old cord in place at the motor wiring box. Now I have a cord that is not completely sealed into that box... there's an air gap and it can wiggle. Should I worry about this? I imagine dust will settle into that wiring area if I don't seal it up somehow. I was thinking maybe I would just slap some duct tape on there. Since the other end of the wire is secured where it exits the cabinet, I don't think there's risk of too much tension on the wire at the motor, but you could convince me otherwise.

Continuing our backwards procession, we reinserted and installed the dust shroud and tubing. Unfortunately, we immediately discovered that now the shroud/tubing interface runs into the sidewall of the cabinet when the blade is set to 45 degrees and we attempt full retraction. We did not notice this before we took it apart, but then, we weren't playing with the blade movements at that time either... so, is this standard? Should we just not crank the saw to the stops like that? I feel like we precisely replaced the shroud on its two mounting holes (it would be hard to mess it up since there're no other options even close), but now I wonder who's got the issue here -- us reassemblers, or the saw?

The last piece to go back in was the riving knife linkage assembly. (I have no idea if that's what it's called, but it's one bar in what looks like a regular old four-bar linkage to me, so there you have it.) This thing was a total bear given the way it has a special, third hex bolt that has to go through two pieces with a washer in between. It was trivial to unscrew it, but getting it all back in place was a big to-do! I would be intrigued to hear if anyone else has replaced this bar and found an easier way to get it screwed back together.

I'm pretty new to table saws (and woodworking in general; just starting, really), but I guess I consider myself reasonably competent when it comes to working with machines and putting things together. I'm asking these questions because it was far from a perfect experience so far.

I'll certainly be speaking with Powermatic about these things tomorrow, and they may just answer all my questions to my satisfaction and get me on my way. (If so, I'll post whatever responses I get back to this thread.) But I appreciate your time spent reading about my shenanigans anyway. :)

Ben

Dave MacArthur
02-29-2008, 2:56 AM
Greetings and welcome! Quite a bummer of a first post!
As far as the wire/box interface, I would do two things: first I would get a wire clamp used to run NM-B into a junction box, and use this to run your wire into your box. Probably have to widen the hole, fit the clamp through and screw it in place with the ring nut, run the wire through the clamping jaws and tighten them down. This will ensure a tug on the wire--and don't fool yourself, there WILL BE many tugs on that cord!-- won't hurt the wiring or break the dust seal...

... which brings us to part 2: I would then seal the entire hole up with some silicone. Why? Because I have read several threads here where saws and bandsaws were disabled/broken due to dust getting into that switch--it can and does cause issues much more expensive than a dab of silicone.

LASTLY, welcome-- and it's too bad you didn't get here a day earlier and read a bit on unloading a saw ! ;)
Your issues and concerns that caused you to disassemble and nerf your saw are so common, that if you look down below at my signature block you'll see a thread I made and linked on "How to move a saw" which tells you how to deal with this and get it out of your truck ($99 engine hoist). In fact, I picked my PM66 up today off it's mobile base, rolled it around a bit, placed a torsion box onto the base and began building a router cabinet onto the base, then with two fingers lowered the saw back into place. Wish I could have gotten to you yesterday!

If you use the search function, you'll be able to find several threads on placing the shims for a PM2000 top.
Good luck!

D-Alan Grogg
02-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Hindsight is 20-20, as they say...

Sorry to hear about your experience on day 1. I have the PM2000. I unloaded the pallet myself from the back of my truck using an 800 lb winch attached to the ceiling of my shop. There are other options, eg renting a lift/hoist, asking friends, etc. All I had to do after that was install the extension wings and fence/rails and those are easily a 1 man job.

Unfortunately, I can't be of any help to your situation since I haven't gone through the assembly process. I can say that my dust shroud doesn't bind on anything over the full range of motion.

This is a good lesson for those that are thinking about moving a heavy piece of equipment like this. I definitely think it would be more trouble to disassemble/reassemble than to be patient and use some of the other options. Easy for me to say, but still worth saying in case it helps someone else.

David DeCristoforo
02-29-2008, 1:22 PM
"...but now I wonder who's got the issue here -- us reassemblers, or the saw?"

In view of the fact that the machine was delivered fully assembled, you can be certain that PM is not going to be too happy about "taking responsibility" for your difficulty in getting it back together! I would approach them most humbly.

In the future (as I am sure you have learned already) it would be much wiser to consult with the manufacturer before undertaking the dismantling of a piece of equipment unless you are familiar enough with how the thing is put together to begin with to do so properly. I hope this does not sound "preachy". It's not intended to. But I have found that most manufacturers will gladly provide this kind of "support" if you ask them for it.

YM

Shawn Honeychurch
02-29-2008, 1:57 PM
Warranty, what warranty????
:)

Peter Quinn
02-29-2008, 2:16 PM
Use physics Ben...not muscles...to move machines. Got my PM 66 into a basement down a steep bilco...removed nothing. If you buy a heavy jointer or planer next...please don't take them apart to lighten them. Sometimes the fee for tailgate delivery or rental truck w/lift gate is a good option too.

On the bright side you will be about as intimately aquanted with your TS as any woodworker can be by the time its finished.

Michael Gibbons
02-29-2008, 3:33 PM
Friends, Ben, Friends. Pizza and beer are standard barter items to offer for help to move 600 lb items around.

Chris Robertson
02-29-2008, 5:28 PM
I received my PM2000 yesterday as well. It shipped directly from Powermatic, TN via Eagle Transportation. I requested liftgate service, but the Eagle two-man crew arrived in a mid-sized box truck with no lift. My driveway is at an incline, so the driver backed in and three of us got it to the ground. The bad news is that it tipped over on the ground. The good news is that it was packaged very well. It was bolted onto the bottom pallet and had a pallet on top, all wrapped in a cardboard container with metal bands holding it together very tightly. We tipped it back upright and handtrucked it into the garage. I opened it up and not a scratch. I was able to slide it off the pallet very easily myself. Sorry your unloading didn't go as easily as mine, but I hope you enjoy your saw!

Karl Brogger
02-29-2008, 5:32 PM
Monday I have to figure out how to get a 1100 pound widebelt sander out of the back of my pickup. That'll be fun.

Eric Haycraft
02-29-2008, 5:40 PM
Monday I have to figure out how to get a 1100 pound widebelt sander out of the back of my pickup. That'll be fun.

Backup fast and slam on the brakes. If you do it well, it will land flat. :)

Karl Brogger
02-29-2008, 5:48 PM
Yeah.... I don't think that is the way to go about it. I've been lusting over getting a wide-belt for the last year. I have a drum sander and it is just a waste of time for me. Changing grits is a pain, and its underpowered. I couldn't afford the sander I wanted, so I spent $31,000 less and got what I could afford. It's an improvement at any rate. Time to start saving my pennies for the real deal though.

Ben Brantley
02-29-2008, 7:14 PM
Hey folks,

Thanks for all of your thoughts. A few salient thoughts:

1. Disassembling the saw was Plan B. I did have it in the back of my mind, but my original intention was to use my two-ton winch. As it happened, the winch broke in the process of trying to rig up the load. (I'm glad it broke then and not when the saw was hanging in the air, though.) I had a rental truck with a return commitment bearing down, so I made the executive decision to tear down the saw. :rolleyes:

2. Unfortunately, freight delivery with a lift-gate was not cost
effective this time. I could not get the particular discount I
wanted if I went that route, and my free
assistants (a.k.a. visiting family members) wouldn't be available
to help anyway. I hope that I will be able to have the rest of my tools dropped in my garage by my usual freight guy.

3. I spoke with Powermatic today. They were quite friendly, and
they thought it was only mildly funny that I decided to
practically disassemble the entire saw right after purchasing it! :D Here's what I learned:

a) The belt tension is not particularly critical. They
recommended 1/4 to 1/2 inch of give in the belt but said that it could handle a wide range.

b) The four-bar linkage that supports the riving knife /is/ just
pretty hard to reinstall. Turns out I got it right.

c) The dust shroud/tube shouldn't be binding against the cabinet at
full displacement. They didn't have any ideas about it except to
"play with it some," so I went out fresh this morning and played with
it for quite some time. It turns out that I probably just got a
little unlucky -- once the tube is on the shroud, there's really only
maybe a tenth of an inch of gap between it and the wall if it's
mounted optimally. If you happen to twist it on a little too much (or
too little), it'll be too thick and get stuck. Lesson learned!

d) As for the service manual, it appears that there's no such beast.
The good news is that the saw really is pretty simple, mechanically
speaking. I guess they just assumed it wasn't worth fooling with.

4. I got stuck today when I didn't have enough clamps to mount up the extension table. No worries; that work I can finish on my own next week.

Looking forward to pulverizing some wood one day soon!

Ben

Tom Veatch
02-29-2008, 8:04 PM
...I removed the top (easy) but did not know to capture the location of the three copper shims. Oopsee. I guess I will have four possible shim configurations to test...

Been there, done that.

After reassembly, be sure and check the blade alignment both at 0 and 45 degrees. If the tilt axis isn't parallel to the table surface, the blade will skew as it tilts. After aligning at 0, if the alignment at 45 is off, add shims at the front of the table to shift the front of the blade in the direction of the tilt (left for a left tilt saw, right for a right tilt) and shim the back of the table for the opposite case.

Good luck!

Dennis Peacock
02-29-2008, 8:10 PM
First of all Ben....WELCOME to the Creek!!!!!!

Congrats on the new PM2000 TS.....really nice saw there. :cool: