PDA

View Full Version : Carvers Forum?

Dan Barr
02-28-2008, 11:52 PM
what do ya think? any carvers out there wanting a forum?

I bet if i get enough replies to this post, we'll get one. :D

I PM'd Keith and he said that if we got enough responses, he'd set it up.

SO....... reply to this post and maybe we'll get it.

ciao,

dan

Howie French
02-29-2008, 12:07 AM
great post !

I would love to see a carver's forum added.

thanks for posting.

Howie

James Mittlefehldt
02-29-2008, 5:46 AM
I voted yes, I don't carve yet but want to start. I could do that in my house during the winter, when I cannot get the shop warm enough to hold the tools longer than 5 minutes.

Sam Yerardi
02-29-2008, 7:35 AM
I would love to see one.

Joel Ficke
02-29-2008, 8:18 AM
I think a carver's forum would be good, but let me throw out another idea that would cover carving plus a little more.....a period furniture making forum. It seems like most folks who who discuss carving here are coming at it from that perspective anyway (B&C feet, shells etc.) as opposed to bird or chip carving. Make sense? Comments?

Howie French
02-29-2008, 10:36 AM
...a period furniture making forum. It seems like most folks who who discuss carving here are coming at it from that perspective anyway (B&C feet, shells etc.) as opposed to bird or chip carving. Make sense? Comments?

makes sense to me, I agree

Howie

Sam Yerardi
02-29-2008, 11:06 AM
I love Joel's idea as that's where my love is; I'll try to help in any way I can, even moderating if it's something I can do from home in the evenings.

Chuck Nickerson
02-29-2008, 12:57 PM
would exclude the carvers, but a carving forum would include period furniture carvers.

David Tiell
02-29-2008, 1:12 PM
I'd like to see it, as I would like to try my hand at it sometime soon.

Michael Faurot
02-29-2008, 1:24 PM
would exclude the carvers, but a carving forum would include period furniture carvers.

Agreed. I'm not currently doing any sort of carving, but I'd be more interested in seeing something that relates to carving in general with some stuff about furniture, as opposed to the other way around.

Mike Henderson
02-29-2008, 1:30 PM
I responded to your question in the power tool forum but it seems to be getting more traction here so I'll also post here, also.

The only question I'd have is whether there'd be enough traffic to make a separate forum viable. Carvers can post here in the neander forum and the posts will get more visibility and maybe more responses. When a forum doesn't get much traffic, people stop visiting - so I question whether a carver specific forum will be successful. Just because we create a new forum doesn't mean we'll get more posts on that subject.

Mike

Joe D'Attilio
02-29-2008, 1:41 PM
ALthough I agree on the traffic thought, perhaps the carvers don't know where to post or it woudl draw more carvers to the site..

I can see that creating the workshop forum was a huge success.

I think Carving would just be another specialized facet of the forum - in the future I would liekto add some carving components to my projects and it seems the carving posts are few and far between - currnetly, if nothing else all the carving will be in one place rather than searching or scrolling through 100's of post to find a few you ar elooking for...

I also suggested a seperate forum as well and my thoughts on it.

Project forum/or Completed Projects.

Just a place to post your past projects or completed so that others can view finished work and either get ideas about their next project or get ideas on their current projects.

As a newbie I enjoy viewing completed projects and really seeing what is actually possible with some practice, and honed skills. Kind of a light at the end of the tunnel type optimism. And just like the LOML I like to look at the pretty, shiny stuff LOL

If I'm looking for an idea on a project perhaps a joint style or something it takes me 10-20 pages to veiw a completed project from a week or 2 ago.

Not to mention its a collaborative and accumulative "gallery" of our accomplishments over time as a community.

I responded to your question in the power tool forum but it seems to be getting more traction here so I'll also post here, also.

The only question I'd have is whether there'd be enough traffic to make a separate forum viable. Carvers can post here in the neander forum and the posts will get more visibility and maybe more responses. When a forum doesn't get much traffic, people stop visiting - so I question whether a carver specific forum will be successful. Just because we create a new forum doesn't mean we'll get more posts on that subject.

Mike

Michael Gibbons
02-29-2008, 3:26 PM
I for one wouldn't mind if there was a carving forum. I don't carve 'cause I can't get the free-form 3-D thing going but I think it's neat what some folks can do.

Dave McGeehan
03-01-2008, 6:12 PM
I'd love to see a carver's forum. I was never sure which forum at Sawmill was the most proper place to post pics, questions, or comments regarding carving.

I started as a woodcarver (figures, abstracts, relief, animals, etc.) 25 years ago. The skills I developed, and am still developing (it happily never ends), has greatly aided and influenced my furniture building. I have also been greatly impressed and inspired by the work and generous sharing of information I've found on Sawmill Creek. I feel a carver's forum would have the potential to benefit all of us.

Zahid Naqvi
03-03-2008, 7:49 PM
I'd love to, but we already have too many forums at SMC. Then again if we get 100+ yes votes then who am I to argue. You might want to post this in the GWW forum as well, because I know there are many power carvers who may not venture toward the neander side.

Jim Koepke
03-03-2008, 8:17 PM
I would enjoy learning about carving.
It is something I have tried to do, but do not know where to start.

jim

Dan Barr
03-03-2008, 9:17 PM
Yes Zahid,

I posted the same thing in the GWW at the same time. 70 something percent yes votes on that side and 80 something percent votes yes on the neander side.

maybe not enough, but im also thinking that the number of votes only represents a smaller segment of the whole that potentially carves.

any ideas?

ciao,

dan

Dan Barr
03-12-2008, 11:29 AM
bump.

dan

Tom Banwell
03-30-2008, 10:59 PM
I joined originally for the laser engraving, but I also carve, and I can't figure out where the carvers post their work! A carver's forum would be great, but if not can we at least designate where we should be posting? I usually start my carvings by routing out outlines before picking up the chisels, so I don't know if that qualifies for the Neanderthal Haven.

Tom

Russ Hauser
03-30-2008, 11:38 PM
What a coincedence, I'm just getting started in wood carving. I'd love to see a separate forum for it.

I also like the idea of a separate place to show off completed projects.

Russ

Keith Outten
03-31-2008, 7:26 AM
The new Woodcarvers Forum is open for posting.