PDA

View Full Version : Set Down Lathe Pictures

Dan Henry
02-28-2008, 10:47 PM
Here are a couple of pictures that i made for a friend, I am working on getting the drawings done on CAD and will share the plans and materials list by privet email.

Dan

Bernie Weishapl
02-28-2008, 11:48 PM
Very nice Dan. That looks like a great working situation.

Matt Hutchinson
02-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Looks pretty good! But I am wondering if there is enough elbow room. Have you tried it out yet?

Hutch

Dan Henry
02-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Here is a picture of the lathe in action, using it is a little different than standing up, you don't have the freedom on movement but if you are in a situation that you can not stand up very long and want to turn this is a good compromise

Dan

Matt Hutchinson
02-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Looks good! From the first picture I couldnt' tell how far the lathe extended out from the box. Now, what exactly is going on with the tool rest? How did you get it to attach securely in that position?

Hutch

Dan Henry
02-29-2008, 12:47 PM
The Tool Rest Support can be made from 2 pieces of 4 inch channel iron with a 1 1/4 strap on the back side to fit into the lathe* bed ways. Use a 3/8 stud ratchet handle to secure the support to the lathe. Make a small plate to fit on the bottom of the lathe ways with a drilled and tapped hole for the stud handle. Drill a 3/8 hole with a counter sink in the part the tool rest will set on as the stud under the original tool rest needs this clearance so the rest can lay tight on the new support .Hope this helps under stand how the new tool rest support can be made, the joint of the 2 pieces needs to be securely welded.Dan

Paul Engle
02-29-2008, 1:23 PM
Well done Dan. Indeed. Proof of Americans at their finest.

David Walser
02-29-2008, 1:31 PM
The Tool Rest Support can be made from 2 pieces of 4 inch channel iron with a 1 1/4 strap on the back side to fit into the lathe* bed ways. Use a 3/8 stud ratchet handle to secure the support to the lathe. Make a small plate to fit on the bottom of the lathe ways with a drilled and tapped hole for the stud handle. Drill a 3/8 hole with a counter sink in the part the tool rest will set on as the stud under the original tool rest needs this clearance so the rest can lay tight on the new support .Hope this helps under stand how the new tool rest support can be made, the joint of the 2 pieces needs to be securely welded.Dan

Very ingenious! If I'm following correctly, you've made "replacement" bed ways out of channel iron and secured the replacement bed ways to the lathe via a metal strap. Couldn't you attach the replacement bed ways to the "shelf" below the lathe? I'm not sure whether this approach would be better than the one you took, but I think it would work. Wouldn't it?