PDA

View Full Version : Urethane Bandsaw Tires

Bryan Berguson
02-28-2008, 9:47 PM
I picked up a pair of these today for my 14" Grizzly from Woodcraft. The install directions are very clear and they make it sound very easy? Clean the tires good. Put the new ones in hot soapy water. Install.

This sounds too easy. I've become very leary of these jobs that are too simple. What are they not telling me?

I've never been happy with the cut quality of this saw and always suspected it might be the rubber tires. Last time I tried to use it, after it had set idol for 6 or 7 years, the tires completely failed and started coming off. I couldn't keep a blade on the machine. I'm really hoping these new tires will correct the sloppy cut quality and give me a band saw I can use again. Anybody else really like these urethane tires?

Bryan

Peter Quinn
02-28-2008, 10:19 PM
I seem to remember seeing a video of a guy putting urathane tires on a band saw and yes, it was just that easy. Have not had to change mine yet so don't know.

Paul Fitzgerald
02-28-2008, 10:19 PM
I tried the soapy water bit, but found it easier just to clamp the tire to the wheel and stretch and add clamps until it pops on. It sounds harder than it really is.

Once on, slip a screwdriver (or similar instrument) between the tire and wheel and go around the wheel a few times to ensure the tire isn't bunched up somewhere.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Lance Norris
02-28-2008, 10:22 PM
My smaller of 2 bandsaws, is a Ridgid 14". It had horrible tracking problems right out of the box. After ruining the tires, trying all kinds of adjustments with the tires crown, I replaced them with Urethane tires from Hartville tool. The install was as easy as you say. I softened them in almost boiling water, with some dish soap added and they just slipped on. I think I used a popsicle(sp?) stick to slip under the tire, to help stretch it over the wheel. They are pretty tight, even when soft and warm. No more tracking problems.

Pete Bradley
02-28-2008, 10:24 PM
If your tires are falling off, they're due for replacement, but I doubt the problems with cut quality are due to the tires. I'd suspect the choice of band first, guide adjustments a distant second.

Pete

Ray Schafer
02-29-2008, 12:26 AM
I just bought a Ridgid 14" and the tires were junk. I bought Urethane tires and did not think that I was going to be able to get them on until I used two clamps and then two screwdrivers as levers. ... then they slipped right on.

Ron Dunn
02-29-2008, 12:49 AM
I bought tyres from Sulphur Grove. I didn't use soap, just warm/hot water. One small clamp to hold the tyre in place against the top of the wheel, then a little gentle stretching and they were on the wheel. Six hours later (the recommended wait time) I was cutting away.

I'm perfectly satisfied with these tyres.

One small alert for first-time buyers ... the tyres I bought are slightly slimmer than the rubber tyres they replaced. I had to shorten my blades by 1/2" in order to get the tension I wanted.

Bryan Berguson
03-01-2008, 4:24 PM
This turned out to be as easy as it sounded. Hey, there's a first time for everything! :)

I soaked the tires per the directions. Used 2 clamps to hold them in place and worked them on with my fingers. I let them cool and dry for about an hour, installed a 3/8" blade and fired it up. It cut like a charm and much smoother than before. I feel like I just bought a new bandsaw considering I haven't used this one for about 7 years.

Thanks to all for the advice! It was spot on. :D

Bryan

Peter Quinn
03-01-2008, 4:38 PM
I've seen jigs for recrowning tires from no less than David Marks and Mark Duginski...sounds like the urathane tires illiminate the need for that? When I hear a band saw is running crappy, just like a car handing badly, I always suspect the tires first! They should be the first thing to wear out, not the last! The drive belt properly tensioned and the pulleys are usually my second suspects...just like a car with a broken transmission...I've made good cuts with a $7 olson, and even when dull it still turned smoothly under no load...man you gotta work hard to screw up the guides...their the last thing I adjust in a tune up or blade change and the last thing I suspect when there's a problem....IMHO

Lance Norris
03-01-2008, 7:58 PM
I've seen jigs for recrowning tires from no less than David Marks and Mark Duginski...sounds like the urathane tires illiminate the need for that?

On my Ridgid, the crown is in the wheel, not the tire. I still have the rubber tires on my big Grizzly, so I dont know if that ones wheels have a crown or not. I have been thinking about replacing them(the tires). I do know that some wheels are crowned and some are not.