PDA

View Full Version : Wider at one end, jointer fix?

Ken Potts
02-28-2008, 9:20 PM
Let's say you have a one by six that is slightly wider at one end. In other words it's tapered. If you run it over a jointer enough times, will it completly straighten the board so it's the same width on both ends? I was asked that question, I thought so but wasn't sure. I just got a jointer. Thanks.

Ken.

Eric Haycraft
02-28-2008, 10:06 PM
A jointer will take out cupping, small twists, waviness and square up sides, but not adjust a board for taper like you describe. What you need to do is saw it on a table saw or run it through a planer. If it is the 6" part that is wider at one end than the other, the TS is the best bet. If it is the 1" part, that is best done on a planer.

Grant Vanbokklen
02-28-2008, 10:10 PM
joint one edge perfectly straight. Then run it through the table saw, jointed edge against the fence, to get the edges parallel and width the same throughout.

keith ouellette
02-28-2008, 10:12 PM
No. The jointer will make one edge straight or a face flat. Just because an edge is straight does not mean the board will be the same width at one end as the other. If one end is an inch wider than the opposite end before jointing then it will still be about an inch wider after jointing.

Now. run the jointed board through a well tune table saw with the straight jointer edge against the fence and it will be the same width from end to end.

Mark Singer
02-28-2008, 10:15 PM
It can be done on the jointer . It takes a bit of practice making partial passes and then full ones checking with a square as you go. The jointer is a tool worth really learning to gain its full potential

Ken Potts
02-28-2008, 11:34 PM
I know the table saw is the tool to use but I was just wondering if the jointer could do it. Mark, I totally get what you're saying. I think that could be done fairly easy with a little practice. Thanks guys.

Ken.

Joe Chritz
02-29-2008, 5:57 AM
It is exactly the opposite procedure from making a taper on a jointer. Something I have done a few times but not overly common, at least for me.

There are many other ways to skin this cat that are easier. If you are trying to learn the jointer it is a good way to do so however.

Joe