PDA

View Full Version : ZCI For the Delta Saw You Cant Make ZCI For

Lance Norris
02-28-2008, 9:00 PM
I have the Delta cabinet saw that has the rectangular throat plate. It is a 36-731 and is about 2 years old. I posted something a while back over at Woodnet, and was immediately assaulted for my choice of saw. Some of the comments were that "...you cant do any serious work with a saw like that, I would never own a saw like that, you have to change the arbor to use a dado, you cant even make zero clearance inserts for that saw..." and other negative comments I dont remember. All of these comments were from people who dont own this saw, and I would guess, had never even seen this saw. There is a longer replacement arbor that comes with the dado throat plate, but after working with this saw, I have found you can stack 3/4" of dado on the stock arbor, and probably 1-3/8" on the long arbor. What really made me mad was the comment that you cant make ZCIs for this saw. While I admit, its different because the blade is so close to the edge of the table, and not in the center of the throat like a Unisaw, but saying you cant do something, and the general rudeness I have seen, is what made me quit posting there and come here. So, to my friends here at Sawmill Creek, I offer proof that you can do most anything, if you try.

Peter Quinn
02-28-2008, 9:15 PM
Nice plate Lance...and nice saw too! Guessing whoever made those comments was one of the biggest tools in any box!

I'm a stay at home Dad with my 1yr old son presently, but at my last job we had a 7HP 14" SCMI TS with that same type of square throat plate. We had a shop made ZCI for every blade (thin kerf, regular kerf, some over .250", and dados!)

We did a lot of serious work with that machine and I'm betting you do too with yours. I'm a left tilt oval man myself but I don't descriminate against either right tilt or square plate folks. Heck, I've even seen a few european panel saws that went both ways!

Bruce Page
02-28-2008, 9:25 PM
Looks great Lance.
Never say never!