PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on biscuit joiners

Christian Aufreiter
03-14-2004, 9:57 AM
Hi folks,

I'm contemplating a biscuit joiner and have limited my choice to Dewalt, Makita, Mafell and Milwaukee. I know that the PC gets good marks but it's not available here. As for the Lamello's, their quality might be outstanding but the C2's fence is inferior to the brands I mentioned above and I don't want to afford the Top 20.
Any comments on which one to buy?
What do you think about Dewalt vs. Makita?

Thanks in advance!

Christian

Mark Valsi
03-14-2004, 10:50 AM
Chris,

I hvae the dewalt and like it.

Don't use it too often, but it seems to be as good as any of the others, and I like Dewalt quality thru their entire line of goods. I have a Dewlat Table Saw, Sander, and Planer.

auf wienerschnitzle

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-14-2004, 12:20 PM
Christian
I also have the DeWalt - but it was the right price for me to purchase - I didn't buy it because it was better than any other one - it was the right price.
So check out the options on the various biscuit joiners and get the most cost effective one that suits you.
I also would like you to look at the Delta - it bends the wrong way - but it is the right way sometimes.
When I join 45's, I have to change the depth of the blade for the inside corner.
When I do faces, I use the fence as a "top" reference. (not the bottom edge of the joiner)
Daniel :cool:

Gene Collison
03-14-2004, 12:28 PM
Hi folks,

I'm contemplating a biscuit joiner and have limited my choice to Dewalt, Makita, Mafell and Milwaukee. I know that the PC gets good marks but it's not available here. As for the Lamello's, their quality might be outstanding but the C2's fence is inferior to the brands I mentioned above and I don't want to afford the Top 20.
Any comments on which one to buy?
What do you think about Dewalt vs. Makita?

Thanks in advance!

Christian

Makita, no slop or play anywhere, means tighter slots. Better made tool from Japan.

gene

Christian Aufreiter
03-14-2004, 12:32 PM
Makita, no slop or play anywhere, means tighter slots. Better made tool from Japan.

gene

Hi folks,

thanks for your comments.

Gene,
I remember talking to you about biscuit joiners. Does the Festool suction hose fit the Makita dust port?

Thanks!

Christian

Gene Collison
03-14-2004, 1:28 PM
Hi folks,

Gene,
I remember talking to you about biscuit joiners. Does the Festool suction hose fit the Makita dust port?

Thanks!

Christian

Hi Christian,

Unfortunately no! The outlet on the Makita is 1 5/16". you will need some sort of rubber sleeve coupler to slip over your Festool vac like the one on the Fein vac hose. But all means get the Makita, if you do research on how it is made and how tight it is that's what you will end up with. the tool has zero play.

Gene

Dave Avery
03-14-2004, 4:35 PM
Hi folks,

Gene,

Thanks!

Christian

Christian,

The Festool CT22 hose fits the Dewalt. Check the archives for a picture I posted. It works VERY well. I've never used the Makita (though I have their routers and I'm very happy with them), but the Dewalt biscuit cutter has served me very well. Dave.

Dick Parr
03-14-2004, 4:37 PM
I have the dewalt and love it. It does everything I have asked of it.

Wes Bischel
03-14-2004, 5:30 PM
Christian,

I have a DeWalt - bought it due to the experience of the guys in the model shop where I used to work. They went through a few different brands and ended up with DeWalts. They found it to be reliable and sturdy - these guys do not have patience for poor performing or sensitive tools. I have used mine a great deal and it has always performed well.

FWIW, Wes

Steve Clardy
03-14-2004, 8:53 PM
I have the Ryobi. Paid somewhere around $100.00 4-5 years ago. Works very well. Recently I had a friend down from K.C. MO., and he works at Noel designs . A very top end shop. He was using the biscuit cutter helping me with a 6" diameter round Hard Maple table. He made the comment that the chip collection was the best He had seen. He works with Dewalt and PC cutters. He couldn't believe the difference. Price wise, it's a great cutter. Steve

Lynn Sonier
03-15-2004, 5:00 PM
I use the Ryobi also and like it. I have very seldom had the cutter move once I had it tight against the wood.

Christian Aufreiter
03-19-2004, 12:14 PM
Hi folks,

thanks for your input.
Dave, I remember your pics of the Dewalt with the Festool hose.
This week I looked at the Makita and the Lamello C2. Gene mentioned that the Makita has a better fence than the Dewalt. While this might be true, the Dewalt's fence is more flexible. It allows to adjust the height even when the fence is set to an angle different than 90°. As for the Lamello, it's fence is basically comparable to the Maktia's. This means that it doesn't have the same features as the Dewalt. On the other hand the Lamello's finish is really exceptional. I wonder if it's really worth almost EUR 500 (including a Systainer, some biscuits in a Mini Systainer, and the small Lamello glue bottle).

Regards,

Christian

Brian Hale
03-20-2004, 6:11 AM
Christian,

I've had my Dewalt for several years now and i'm Very pleased with it. The tilting fence has 2 holes in it that i've used to attach different faces to for special applications. It's a solid performer!

Brian :)

Christian Aufreiter
03-20-2004, 5:06 PM
Hi folks,

after I checked out some different models I'm almost sure that the Lamello C2 is the best I can and want to afford. I'll will have another look at biscuit joiners at a show in a couple of weeks but the C2 is my current favorite.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Christian