PDA

View Full Version : Spiral ducting/fittings?

Paul Downes
02-28-2008, 6:21 PM
I'm in the process of putting in a better dust collection system and am upgrading to metal spiral ducting. A friend has a bunch of 6" pipe laying around and said I could have it. Where have you guys gotten the fittings for this type of pipe? I understand it is sometimes hard to find fittings that fit exactly-like the manufacturers vary a bit in sizing. Any help would be appreciated.

David DeCristoforo
02-28-2008, 6:32 PM
"I understand it is sometimes hard to find fittings that fit exactly-like the manufacturers vary a bit in sizing."

Therein lies the "rub". There's lots of good sources not the least of which is:
http://www.airhand.com/category.asp
You might want to check first to make sure the pipe will work with their fittings (or whomever you get them from) by ordering one or two and physically checking the fit.

YM

Chris McKimson
02-28-2008, 7:23 PM
I got mine at Spiral Mfg dot com.

Peter Quinn
02-28-2008, 7:35 PM
Onieda has every fitting on earth and they all fit....their pipes! Just remember, the male end always points up stream or your injecting ugly turbulence and friction into your system.

Can you ask your friend where he got the pipe? I have been stuck with fittings that will not fit my onieda pipe before, very annoying.

Chris Padilla
02-28-2008, 8:16 PM
That is what crimpers and shears are for!! Make 'em fit if they are close! :)

Steve Roxberg
02-28-2008, 8:26 PM
I'm in the process of putting in a better dust collection system and am upgrading to metal spiral ducting. A friend has a bunch of 6" pipe laying around and said I could have it. Where have you guys gotten the fittings for this type of pipe? I understand it is sometimes hard to find fittings that fit exactly-like the manufacturers vary a bit in sizing. Any help would be appreciated.

I purchased from www.spiralmfg.com (http://www.spiralmfg.com) and they are great. They can make the fitting for any gage pipe. 26 and 24 are the standard so I'd have them ship you one cheap fitting and have them size it for 22 gage pipe, it should fit and if it's loose then have them make your other fittings for 24. A little tape will nicely seal the first one up if it is loose.

Paul Downes
02-29-2008, 1:01 AM
Thanks for the tips. I have looked at the spiralmfg site, but didn't see any pricing. I guess I'll have to give them a call.

My friend owns a moulding manufactureing shop and also told me I could have a Torit cyclone dust collector he doesn't need anymore. I haven't looked at it yet and don't know if it's 3 phase or single phase. I may be able to retro fit a single phase motor on it in any case. Pretty good deal anyway. All this stuff for just cutting up a few wood piles of butt logs so he can fit them into a furnace he uses to heat his shop. I did haul him a few loads of firewood when he was out He also uses wood to heat a kiln. I guess the good deeds paid off big time!:D:D