PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Hole Decision

Steve Leach
02-28-2008, 6:11 PM
I'm thinking of buying a pocket hole system, probably a Kreg, but I recently saw the one Rockler is selling with a plate that fits into their router table. I already have the Rockler Router table so maybe that's the way to go. Any one used the Rocker system yet?

Steve

glenn bradley
02-28-2008, 6:56 PM
Seems like an OK idea but, you are paying $50 for that plate. No DC as it grips the jig and not the material (see the K3 Master System). Why am I rambling on when I'm only guessing? Let's wait for an owner to comment.

Matt Meiser
02-28-2008, 7:01 PM
One of the nice things about the Kreg kit is that it comes with the two clamp on jigs, at least mine did. There are times where it is easier to take the jig to the workpiece instead of vice-versa.

Peter Quinn
02-28-2008, 7:31 PM
I don't like the looks of that thing, and I sure wouldn't want to drag my router out of the table every time I want to put in a pocket hole screw. It really limits the truely flexible nature of pocket holes to a few basic operations.

I made a simple mdf base for the Kreg jig (as suggested in their video) that hangs on the wall when not in use, takes seconds to pull down/set up, and gives great stock support even on plywood carcass sides. Plus I can take it out of the shop, clamp it on two saw horses and work where ever i need to.

As Matt mentioned you can take the drill guide out of the base, clamp it to a work piece and put a screw wherever you need one on large or preassembled pieces, a feature that has gotten my forgetful self out of a jam several times.

As Glen pointed out the rockler one has no dust collection, the DC on the kreg jig works great. Considering the volume of chips that quickly accumulate thats a feature to be considered seriously.

I'm thinking If you want the rock bottom price you'ld be better off buying the Kreg standard pack and the three dollar red handled clamp and making your own jig. Otherwise get the full Kreg setup and enjoy.

Lee Schierer
02-28-2008, 7:32 PM
I agree with Matt. My original die cast Kreg jig had a base and clamp mounted to it. After disassembling it several times I asked Santa for one of the clamp on jigs and have used it a lot since then. I still use the original jig, but having the choice is handy.

Don Morris
02-28-2008, 7:34 PM
Another pocket hole jig to look at is the one Sommerfeld uses along with his tongue and groove cabinet making system. I like the tongue and groove system for keeping things aligned and the pocket holes as assurance. I have the Kreg system because I bought it a long time ago and I kind to try to combine them.

Rob Will
02-28-2008, 8:00 PM
Steve,
Check out my Pocket Hole Cart. It is very handy to have everything set up and ready at all times. I think that I use the jig a lot more when I don't have to round up the components.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=62208&highlight=pocket+hole+cart

Rob

Greg Hines, MD
02-28-2008, 8:09 PM
Kreg recommends that you permanently mount their jig to a piece of plywood. I added a 2x2 cleat to the underside of it, that can be clamped in my vise, and it makes the jig solid as a rock. You can still remove the jig and put it into the portable mount with this arrangement, and it accommodates large workpieces by the bench.

Doc

Steve Roxberg
02-28-2008, 8:12 PM
Steve,
Check out my Pocket Hole Cart. It is very handy to have everything set up and ready at all times. I think that I use the jig a lot more when I don't have to round up the components.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=62208&highlight=pocket+hole+cart

Rob

Nice cart Rob and I agree with having it setup and ready to go. I am reorganizing the shop and one of my goals is to have mine ready to go at a moments notice as well.

Jim O'Dell
02-28-2008, 8:38 PM
If you like the idea of popping it into your router table , just make a wood/mdf plate and mount the Kreg to it. The Kreg jig is not very big.
I will build a 12(or larger) X 36" plate for mine that will pop into the middle of my multifunction wall. (Two 10' long cabinets with a 36" cut out in the center with a box bay window.) It will drop in and sit on cleats. Probably a torsion box design of some sort. Jim.

Mark Singer
02-28-2008, 8:47 PM
I really like the Kreg Jig and use it all the time

Bryan Berguson
02-28-2008, 8:57 PM
I seen the newest Kreg jig today at Woodcraft. Very nice! I have the older K2000 (I think that's the one) and really like it. Hard to go wrong with Kreg products.

Bryan

Bruce Wrenn
02-28-2008, 10:56 PM
I have a couple of the A-2 (the original aluminum ones) a rocket, the K-2000 and some of the "mini's". I don't think I would ever buy another brand of pocket hole jig. The cheapest way to buy a replacement bit is to go to Lowes and buy the mini for $19.99. Comes with bit, stop collar, allen wrench, and jig. Bit by itself costs this much. I'm in the process of designing a fixture that allows the A-2 to be clamped from the front, and has dust collection.

Randal Stevenson
02-28-2008, 11:06 PM
If you like the idea of popping it into your router table , just make a wood/mdf plate and mount the Kreg to it. The Kreg jig is not very big.
I will build a 12(or larger) X 36" plate for mine that will pop into the middle of my multifunction wall. (Two 10' long cabinets with a 36" cut out in the center with a box bay window.) It will drop in and sit on cleats. Probably a torsion box design of some sort. Jim.

At our woodworking show, my father made the comment to Kreg, that he wished they sold a router table, with removable plates, AND their track around both sides.(like their clamping table)

They said, he wasn't the only one asking. Seems like a good idea for those with limited space.

Steve Leach
02-28-2008, 11:36 PM
You all raise some good points in favor of sticking with the Kreg. The main thing I like about the Rockler setup is the clamp on the same side you drill from, but I'm not crazy about lugging a 3-1/4hp router out of the table every time I want to make a frame. I think I'll go with the Kreg K3 Master System, which will give me two clamp-on jigs, and then incorporate some of the ideas presented in this thread to make a multi-purpose base.

That's a good tip on the replacement bit Bruce, thanks. I hope you will share what you come up with in the front clamp A2 jig.

What kicked this thread off for me was a co-worker asking me to make a $40 water cooler base and I'm a thinkin' the $140 K3 will be just the ticket. Now all I have to do is explain this 'Woodworker' math to LOML!;)

glenn bradley
03-01-2008, 12:00 AM
You all raise some good points in favor of sticking with the Kreg.

I am a total Kreg fan but, just in case : http://www.pennstateind.com/store/phjig2.html

J. Z. Guest
03-01-2008, 1:12 AM
I love mine. I thought the shop vac attachment was a gimmick, but it is soooo nice not to have to brush off or stand on chips all the time.