PDA

View Full Version : Dust collector in a separate room

Jim Barstow
02-28-2008, 5:54 PM
My new shop is just about done and it has a basement which is where I am going to put the dust collector. This will allow me to run the duct work under the floor. (The basement has a level-out door so getting the chip barrel out will be easy.) The issue is equalizing the pressure between the basement and shop level since the dust collector will suck in air from one room and exhaust it in the other. I thought of putting vents in the floor but the vents would have to be pretty big or I'd end up with high velocity air blowing up from the vents.

The design I came up with, and Oneida said would work, is to have the 90 exhaust elbow from the dust collector go up instead of down. It will connector to a duct that goes up through the floor, extend up 4-5' then have a U bend and then the filter will be attached. This way the air will be pulled from the shop, go down to the dust collector in the basement, then exhaust through the filter back up in the shop.

With all the Oneida dust collectors use by this group, does anyone see a problem with this? How about a simplier alternative?

jason lambert
02-28-2008, 6:13 PM
I was going to do something similar, I think you are fine as long as that filter hangs down.