PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail question.

Karl Brogger
02-28-2008, 5:35 PM
So what is the cure for the pins being too long? Before I assemble drawers I always have to check the fit of each and I end up edge sanding a bit off the sides to get the inside of the joint tight. What gives? Everything is flush when I route them. It's time consuming and frusterating.

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/download.php?Number=133431

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-28-2008, 6:54 PM
Don't extend the bit out so far.
Or stop sawing sooner.

Nice drawer gloat BTW

Eric Haycraft
02-28-2008, 8:46 PM
Too long in which direction? Also, what jig are you using? Is this a single pass half blind?

Karl Brogger
02-28-2008, 9:22 PM
I'm using a 24" Porter Cable jig. I end up sanding the ends of the drawer side to get a proper fit. What is vertical when the drawer is sitting in a normal position. I cut the pins and the tails at the same time, so I don't know why this is. Vertical adjustment of the bit changes how tight the joint is. Lower = Tighter and vice versa.

Eric Haycraft
02-28-2008, 9:30 PM
The brand new super duper fancy omnijig?

Karl Brogger
02-28-2008, 9:36 PM
Nope, old one. New one looks a little too fancy. I like to keep it simple, then it doesn't break, or take too long to figure out.

Eric Haycraft
02-28-2008, 9:45 PM
Well.. i have the new one, so I could tell you what to adjust on it. Your model I am not versed in. What you need to do is adjust the metal finger guide so that it is closer to you. On mine, this is done via adjustment screws, but yours may have another method..shims perhaps. I believe that you adjust it 1/2 the distance of the overhang, retest and readjust if necessary.

Good luck.

Eric