PDA

View Full Version : High quality cabinetmakers screwdrivers

Michael Gibbons
02-28-2008, 5:08 PM
I've found Tools for Working Wood, Traditional Woodworker, and Woodcraft has them. Anyone else before I pull the trigger? The prices range from $40-$200 per set.

David DeCristoforo
02-28-2008, 5:19 PM
Get the ones like these:

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=BIGP&description=Beech+Handled+English+Cabinetmaker%27s +Screwdrivers&fullimagepath=/prodimg/ms/big/MS-ESCREWXX_big.gif

The handles are designed to provide a better grip than a "typical" cylindrical shaped handle. The flat on the blade allows you to use a wrench for more leverage. No need to spend more than 50 bucks on these unless you just want to.

YM

Dan Racette
02-28-2008, 6:05 PM
I could be losing my mind, but I thought I had seen a tutorial on making them, but I don't think it was on SMC.

Don't know if you have the time committment to do that, or the heat and banging items to do it either.

I'm sure there are enough posters here with enough hammerin' experience to be able to tell you the amount of effort required to finish the job.

I am sure that there is also a "cheaper" set too.

Dan

Doug Shepard
02-28-2008, 6:18 PM
I've got a 6-pack set and think I got them at Garrett-Wade but not 100% sure on that.
http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=100439
Nice fat tips that dont slip out of the slots and the handles are real comfortable.

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-28-2008, 7:01 PM
I have gone over to the dark side.
I got one of those multi tools they sell at the borg usually on the counter.

I love 'em They are fabulous screwdrivers.

All my other screw drivers are lonely now.
I even got Snap-On drivers that I spurn favoring the multi tool.

Ron Dunn
02-28-2008, 7:44 PM
A screwdriver is one tool where I've got real trouble seeing the price/quality trade-off.

How often do you use screws in your work? I think I've used them to attach figure-8s for a table-top, to hold drawer bottoms to the rear of the draw, and to fit hinges. None of these tasks required a heavy load on the screwdriver, and all were perfectly handled by a chain-store set of Stanleys.

To those who have expensive/quality screwdrivers, where do you think the value shows?

Joel Goodman
02-28-2008, 7:53 PM
For screwdrivers that really fit the screws and have tips not V shaped - so they don't slip out of the slot --gunsmith screwdrivers are great Not fancy handles but really work. Brownells or you local gun dealer. My 2 cents

Jim Nardi
02-28-2008, 9:13 PM
They have some nice Sorby ones.

Ben Grunow
02-28-2008, 9:21 PM
I recieved a set of Kleins as a gift and I am sure they will last a lifetime if not misused where as my borg multi tip is rusted generally after a year or so and the tips are not as hard. Also the Kleins are hardened and ribbed to grip screws better, plus rubber insulated grips and cast plastic handles.

I use them on the job and they are just tools that feel good in the hand and work better than they should. This is true of all Klein tools.

Gary Keedwell
02-28-2008, 9:36 PM
I have to echo Ben...they are nice.
Gary

Mark Singer
02-28-2008, 10:26 PM
well its true screwdrivers all kinda do the same thing......the set shown is very nice if you like collecting nice tools.....even better if you use them once in a while. Slotted screws in a lot of hardware. Square drives have replaced other heads for the most part. I think it is a preference and thats what I like about woodworking, you can do it your way. Use a $100 chisel to open a paint can a a $2 screwdriver to dovetail a drawer.....its all preference. Now where did I leave my can opener I need to mortise a hinge:confused:

Bob Smalser
02-28-2008, 10:55 PM
Y'all will find nothing is as important for either removing screws without buggering or driving them by the thousand than bits that fit the slots perfectly. Your cabinet screwdrivers are fine for pretty, but you'll never own enough of them to come close to what set of Brownell's Magnatips can do. They also accept all the Big Box hex bits for Roberson, McFeely, etc.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/7534648/98698722.jpg

For driving them a couple Yankees, screwdriver bits for the sweep brace are easier on your carpal tunnel. Both 2 and 3-jaw brace chucks take the Brownell hex bit just fine.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/7534648/100694055.jpg

Michael Gibbons
02-29-2008, 1:25 AM
Thanks gang!

James Mittlefehldt
02-29-2008, 5:43 AM
Hey if you happen to be watching This Old HOuse recently, one thing they did was restore an old pool table. Norm followed that one, and the guy must have been driving Norm crazy as he withdrew and tightened all the screws in the table rail with a hand brace, right in front of him.

I am guessing he did not want to chance a power driven driver slipping and damaging the nice new felt and cushions.

harry strasil
02-29-2008, 7:40 AM
I use a brace quite often to tighten remove screws especially Brass ones. Slotted head screws are getting hard to come by, I prowl every old Hdw store I see for old NOS tools and screws. Ok, when I do use screws I try to be period correct.
Nothing more disgusting than seeing a reproduction piece full of those unsightly phillips or reed and prince heads sticking out like a sore thumb.

When I was operating my blacksmith shop full time the Snap On route man used to bring me damaged screwdrivers to recondition, he developed quite a calling for my reconditioned ones.