PDA

View Full Version : Pc 333 Ros

Kevin Herber
03-06-2003, 10:28 PM
I was sanding with my PC 333 last night and suddenly it sped way up. The pad seemed to be spinning almost as fast as the motor. I took it apart this evening and everything looks fine.

Did the rubber band stretch? I haven't heard of this before but after seeing how it works, that is all I can think of. If it did stretch then the resistance it provides would be gone and I susptect that would allow the thing to rev up. The band did not jump off the small tension wheel (that does not turn) nor the big offset base. The bearing on the motor and the offset pad base does not have any play.

Am I on the right track? Does anyone know where I can get a new rubber band?

Thanks -- Kevin

Jim DeLaney
03-06-2003, 11:40 PM
I've gone through a couple of the rubber band/O-rings, although mine have broken, not stretched. They're readily available from P-C's parts outlets. Cost about $1.75 each. Shipping costs more than the part, so I'd suggest ordering a couple spares while you're at it.

<Center><FONT FACE="Comic Sans MS" COLOR="Blue">Jim D.</FONT></Center>

Kevin Herber
03-06-2003, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the input, Jim. I'll give PC support a call tomorrow.

- Kevin

Dave Sweeney
03-07-2003, 9:33 AM
There are a number of PC Authorized Service Centers in the Austin area. You probably can get the part you want locally. :cool:

markus shaffer
03-07-2003, 1:39 PM
chances are, the bearing needs to be cleaned. i don't know what a service center would cost, but i've cleaned mine a few times over the years and it's still running fine.

if you remove the outside body(grey part i think held together with one or two torx screws), the velcro pad, and then remove the rubberband, you can pull out the housing that holds the bearing. if i remember correctly, it's a small allen screw in the center of the bottom. the whole housing for the bearing will come out. it's inside of the assembly with the fins for the dust collection. you can then gain access to the bearing. mine has rubber caps, so i just leave the bearing inside of the housing and just carefully remove the caps with a knife. spray it out real good with a degreaser and then repack it with new grease. be careful when replacing the caps not to sink them too far or the bearing wont spin freely. reassemble and you should be on your way. whole process should take less than 15 minutes. it's probably worthwhile to try that before taking to a service tech.

good luck

-markus

George@Colonel's Workshop
03-07-2003, 2:00 PM
Good Afternoon Kenin,

I have two of the sanders, one is a lovely machine and the twin is a little beast which stretches the band frequently. I've had it back to PC several times and I'll never be satisfied with it. Go ahead and replace the little band. When it works, the 333 is a great machine. Good luck.

Ted Shrader
03-07-2003, 2:55 PM
Originally posted by George@Colonel's Workshop
Good Afternoon Kevin,

I have two of the sanders, one is a lovely machine and the twin is a little beast which stretches the band frequently. I've had it back to PC several times and I'll never be satisfied with it. Go ahead and replace the little band. When it works, the 333 is a great machine. Good luck.

Kevin -

My comments are the same as George's. I keep a couple of bands in a drawer. The latest version seems a little stiffer - i.e. not as much stretch, more rigid plastic. Have had them in for a while now and have not noticed a decrease in performance.

Get some new "rubber bands".

Ted