PDA

View Full Version : Considering a Work Sharp

Scott Kilroy
02-28-2008, 3:00 PM
I'm considering buying a work sharp, I'm just a woodworking hobbyist but I don't have a lot of free time so I'm trying to make the most of it. The question have for anyone willing to offer advice is should I get the WS3000 or will the WS2000 be good enough for me. Also should I consider something else instead?

Most of the work I do is with power tools but when I grab a plane or chisel I'd like it to be as sharp as possible.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Dave Bonde
02-28-2008, 3:12 PM
I just bought a Worksharp 3000 last week. I got the 3000 for 3 main reasons the rpm is slower than the 2000 so it generates a lot less heat while sharpening, the sharpening port is adjustable so you can microbevel and the port is 2" wide compared to 1 5/8" (my most used plane has a 2" wide blade. I have sharpened about 10 chisels and 1 plane blade, I am very pleased and it works as advertised. Dave

Brian Dormer
02-28-2008, 5:14 PM
I'd second what Dave said. WS3000. It works as advertised.

Karl Brogger
02-28-2008, 5:23 PM
I have no experiance with either. What I do use is a fine grinding wheel with a small diameter (3"), and a buffing wheel. When you hit it with a buffing wheel and get a polish on the edge it is razor sharp. Literally. I can lick my arm and shave hair off. The small diameter grinder gets you a nice concave cut.

Bryan Cowing
02-28-2008, 7:08 PM
I got one ( 3000 ) 2 weeks ago. Also picked up the leather wheel which hones to a very sharp edge in seconds. One thing you may need to get, kevlar gloves, cause if you slip with that just sharpened , super sharp chisel, it's band-aid time.:mad: Pick up extra sheets of the grit paper too! Good, easy to use tool.:D

Shane Sura
02-28-2008, 7:58 PM
I also own the worksharp 3000. I have owned it for 4 months or so. I absolutly love it and you can't possibly go wrong.

Shane

Alan Schaffter
02-28-2008, 9:25 PM
I sold my Tormek and bought a WS3000 and am a happy camper.

Bill Huber
02-28-2008, 9:43 PM
I think to answer your question we need to ask another question.

What type of woodworker are you.
Do you have a lot of planes and chisels?

At this point in my woodworking I have 2 good chisels and one small plane. I don't have a lathe and I do most if my work with a router, sander and table saw and the like.

I have the WS2000 and it does everything I need to do and does it very well. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=74691

I have used to to sharpen my screwdrivers, knives and even the blade on the lawn mower. I have a good bench grinder but I have found that the WS2000 is much better to use then the bench grinder for most sharpening tasks.

I have cut some 1/2 MDF wheels and put 400 and 800 grit paper on them.

So the way I look at it is if you have a lot of chisels and planes and do a lot of work with them I would go with the WS3000 but if not then I think the WS2000 will do what you need.

Scott Kilroy
02-28-2008, 10:13 PM
I think to answer your question we need to ask another question.

What type of woodworker are you.
Do you have a lot of planes and chisels?

Good question, thanks for asking. Currently I have a couple of planes and more chisels then I know what to do with (thanks to some very lucky garage sale finds).

Most of the work I've been doing lately has been using power tools. I don't really need a work sharp and the only reason I considered getting one is that I have so little free time to spend in the shop that I wanted to spend as little time as possible sharpening.

Chuck Hayes
02-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Scott;

I have the 3000 and would sugest it over the 2000 simply because of the lower speed and versatility. If you are looking to save time, remember that once you get all your edges straight and sharp, then you just have to keep the edges "toched up" on the finer grits. It is now a simple job to take a chisel over to the worksharp, refine the edge and get back to work, 15 seconds max.

The WS3000 was one of the best "Small tool" purchases I have made. The only problem I have had is with the large plane irons (My stanley #7) that have irons wider than 2", then you have to do it free hand on the top of the wheel, but the learning curve is not bad.

Chuck

Scott Kilroy
02-29-2008, 1:07 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded. It sounds like the WS3000 is worth the extra cash.

Alan Simpson
02-29-2008, 1:43 PM
If you still need more of a push, here's a pretty thorough review I found.

http://woodworkerszone.com/index.php?categoryid=11&p2_articleid=3