PDA

View Full Version : New drum sander on its way

Anthony Whitesell
02-28-2008, 2:41 PM
With the 10% off sale at Woodcraft in New Hampshire, I have purchased a Jet Performax 16-32 drum sander and should be arriving (or should I say I'll be picking it up) on Saturday.

I was thinking of making a rolling cabinet stand to put it on instead of the open stand that it comes with. I'm riding this train of thought for a few reasons: 1. Space is a premium in a 8x12 shop and this is a fairly big sucker (I've cleaned out some room elsewhere in the basement to store it and I'll roll it in when I need to use it) 2. The in/out feed tables are sold separately 3. Casters are extra. 4. Based on the design below I get three drawers (or shelves) instead of one

I have stolen idea from various places and people and come up with this cart that has built-in feed tables, caster, and drawers. The feed tables will be adjustable vertically and supported by a swing out arm.

What do you guys think of it?

For the Performax 16-32 owners out there, do you think this will be study enough to handle the sander? I haven't seen one in action to know how much vibration it makes.

Tom Inghram
02-28-2008, 3:01 PM
I have that sander and am contemplating doing the same thing. I have the infeed/outfeed tables so I don't need to build them in. Just make sure they are adjustable for both up/down and tilt.

I have a small shop also, and I find the swivel/lock casters on all 4 wheels is a must.

Make sure the footprint is the same as that of the original table so the thing doesn't tip over.

Anthony Whitesell
02-28-2008, 3:15 PM
According to the Jet website, the sander is 18x24 and that is the exact size of the top. I have 25" wide doorways to get through. The tables are adjustable up/down. Tilt could be done by bevelling the back of veritcal support where the hinge attaches for the table surface to angle them up further.

I just built a router table with four locking casters and I'm not sure that 4 casters was or is the way to go. I have locked all four yet but it varies as to which two I lock. I have also found it a hassle to unlock them to move it 2 or 4 or 6 inches. I was debating using a universal mobile stand like the one from Rockler instead of the casters. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2383

But maybe that only applies to the router table where I have to feed the stock through the equipment, which is opposed to the planer and drum sander that are self-feeding. Any thoughts?

Tom Inghram
02-28-2008, 3:22 PM
I have one of the Shop Fox bases on my small shaper which has 2 swivel casters and 2 fixed casters. At first it wasn't bad, but as my shop has filled with tools the 2 fixed casters have become a real pain in maneuvering it around the shop. Since there is always a tool in the way when I want to do something, this is important. I say 4 swivel casters simply for the extra maneuverability.

Anthony Whitesell
02-28-2008, 3:35 PM
Along with the debate goes $12 for casters or $40 for a mobile base. I'll probably cheap out and go with the casters.

Instead of using the caster locks, I'd like to find or design an easy (read simple and sturdy) way to either raise/lower a stop or raise/lower the casters to keep the stands from moving. That would be the best of both worlds.

Tom Inghram
02-28-2008, 3:43 PM
If you go with the cheap casters, make sure they have ball bearing wheels. I put the cheap ones on a cabinet I made for my planer and it was tough to push around. Then again, the sander doesn't weigh as much as the planer and all the other stuff I had in that cabinet. I replaced those casters with the swivel/lock casters at $14 a pop. Given that price, the mobile base is cheaper.

Anthony Whitesell
02-28-2008, 3:55 PM
Ball bearing but nylon which reminded me that I want to get the rubber or polyproplene ones this time. The nylon wheels slide on the concrete, which can be convenient sometimes and anooying at others.

What the heck size planer do you have?!? The sander weighs 164 pounds according to the website. My Dewalt 12 1/2" planer doesn't weigh half that much.

Peter Quinn
02-28-2008, 3:57 PM
I have the 22-44 performax pro which has a different base and a rather large foot print. I opted to buy the performax locking casters at $99/4 and remember thinking "These had better be the nicesest casters I have ever seen for $25 each or their going back!", and sure enough they are. Best locking swivel casters I have seen period.

When locked the machine feels like its bolted to the floor and this thing weights 500# fully assembled. I can push it around the shop with 1 finger, which makes me feel like a he-man! "Look honey, I'm taking my sander for a walk!" I have checked out the grizzly, woodcraft and rockler casters and none of them lock as solid as the OEM set.

Looking at your cabinet design I was thinking you might get more stability if you bolted stringers (like tressel table leg bases) parrallel with the feed table to the bottom of the cabinet to give it a longer footprint, and bolt the casters or wheels to these. Should still go through the neccessary opening and may give you a leveling option if your floor is less than flat. The base on the Pro series uses iron to follow the same basic principle and it gives the machine very good stability to resist infeed/outfeed forces.

Stephen Edwards
02-28-2008, 4:05 PM
Here's a cheap solution that I posted on a thread earlier this week.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=77760

Since then I've loaded the top of the table with benchtop router table and the spindle sander as well as having stored things on the shelf underneath. Without the weight it was just a wee bit wobbly in the "parked" position. Now, it's very stable yet easy to move anywhere I want in my 12x48 shop (part of an old barn). I used cheap casters that I had on hand and the cranks from 20+ year old clamps.

I like your table design for the sander!

Tom Inghram
02-28-2008, 4:06 PM
I have the DW735 on a good sized cabinet filled with my routers and jigs. Pushing it around felt like moving a mountain. As Peter mentioned, pushing around the sander with 1 finger is easy, so I just assumed that the planer/cabinet was much heavier, maybe it is only a bit heavier. Making things easy to move is a must in a small shop IMHO, and my shop is somewhat larger than yours.

Dave Dionne
02-28-2008, 5:23 PM
With the 10% off sale at Woodcraft in New Hampshire, I have purchased a Jet Performax 16-32 drum sander and should be arriving (or should I say I'll be picking it up) on Saturday.

I was thinking of making a rolling cabinet stand to put it on instead of the open stand that it comes with. I'm riding this train of thought for a few reasons: 1. Space is a premium in a 8x12 shop and this is a fairly big sucker (I've cleaned out some room elsewhere in the basement to store it and I'll roll it in when I need to use it) 2. The in/out feed tables are sold separately 3. Casters are extra. 4. Based on the design below I get three drawers (or shelves) instead of one

I have stolen idea from various places and people and come up with this cart that has built-in feed tables, caster, and drawers. The feed tables will be adjustable vertically and supported by a swing out arm.

What do you guys think of it?

For the Performax 16-32 owners out there, do you think this will be study enough to handle the sander? I haven't seen one in action to know how much vibration it makes.

So if you are going to the store in Newington NH to pick it up and notice some small amount of drool marks, I will apologize now, i was hanging out at that store yesterday :)

Congrats on your new sander.
PS Do you go to that store often? I am on a first name basis with most of the folks there.

Dave

Anthony Whitesell
02-28-2008, 8:23 PM
Dave: I only go occassionally, I wish I could go more. I like the sales staff there the best. Unfortunately I work in the opposite direction and getting there on a Saturday with a five month old and a wife is a bit tough. P.S. Some off the drool on the floor model is mine. Due to the price of that sucker, I opted to have them order me one than take the floor display.

Peter: I can't make the base too wide. It has to fit through a standard door way, 24 to 25" max. It is currently 18"+3 pieces of 3/4 plywood on each side, so about 22 1/2" already. The feed tables are 3 feet long each, so now I worry about the stability as well. If it's too unstable I'll make some folding outrigger feet.

Stephen: I saw your post but was hoping to find something faster like the Rockler caster pedal on their mobile base. I was also thinking of using some plunge style toggle clamps point at the ground.

Paul Johnstone
02-29-2008, 5:23 PM
Dave: I only go occassionally, I wish I could go more. I like the sales staff there the best. Unfortunately I work in the opposite direction and getting there on a Saturday with a five month old and a wife is a bit tough.

God made wives to stay home and watch the 5 month old, while you ravage through Woodcraft uninhibited. :D:D

you'll love your new sander. Congratulations.

Jim Becker
02-29-2008, 9:34 PM
Definitely do your own infeed/outfeed tables and hinge them as shown in your drawing. The fixed factory infeed/outfeed tables really take a lot of room when the machine is not in use. I have that issue with my 22-44 Plus and am somewhat sorry I opted for the factory tables.