PDA

View Full Version : One of the hardest things to do.

Ben Cadotte
02-28-2008, 2:00 PM
Finally got home yesterday afternoon. Sitting there was a brand new Delta Mortiser sitting in a box. :)

Without out even opening the box I took it to UPS this moring for it to go back. :eek:

Of course a Powermatic bench mortiser is on the way. :D

Still hard to turn away from a brand new tool, just itching to be used. Hard to do, hard to do. :o

Jason Beam
02-28-2008, 2:14 PM
I'm curious ... why????

What is the rest of the story?

Ben Cadotte
02-28-2008, 2:30 PM
I'm curious ... why????

What is the rest of the story?

Just a decision on my part. No knocks against the Delta. I liked the way Steel City's table was with the sliding hold downs. But I liked Deltas fence better since it could be adjusted to the chisel and locked down. So I ordered the Delta. Shopfox and Griz were already out of the running.

After I ordered the Delta it I read something from someone else talking about a Powermatic mortiser. I had completely forgot to look at Powermatic. And of course it had the features of Delta and Steel city along with slightly more power and chisel capacity. About $150 more.

So I checked and found out I could return the Delta without return shipping. So I did and ordered the Powermatic. So the Delta is on its way back and the Powermatic should be on its way here once the Delta gets there and the credit goes to the Powermatic.

I am sure the Delta would have been fine. And if I had not checked the Powermatic after I read about it. I am sure I would have been none the wiser. But as soon as I saw the Powermatic, I knew that was the one I wanted to get.

Jason Beam
02-28-2008, 4:04 PM
Thank you for indulging me. I had guessed it was something similar. I also came up with a magical fairy sending out tools.

Peter Quinn
02-28-2008, 4:23 PM
I used a powermatic, general and delta mortiser at a mortise and tennon class I took. You won't be sorry (unless they mistakenly send you back that delta!):eek::eek::eek: You would have to combine elements of each to assemble the perfect machine, but the PM was the best machine on its own. When in a class of 15 students you find 11 of them waiting in line to use the PM, it says something!

Scott Donley
02-28-2008, 4:38 PM
So I checked and found out I could return the Delta without return shipping. So I did Someone paid for the shipping. And we wonder why prices just keep going up. It would be one thing if you had tried it and it did not do what was advertised, but just because someone changes their mind and expect the vender to absorb the cost. It would be one thing if local, but shipping charges are not "Free"
I am sure you will enjoy the PM, and after the above, Congrat's.

Mike Heidrick
02-28-2008, 4:49 PM
I am thinking the vendor does enough business sending and receiving that the negotiated rates for them covering the shipping both ways are outweighed by the individal being happy and a repeat customer. It is a good business model when dealing in volume shipping and receiving. I see this as a benefit to customers and a reason to continue to shop with one vendor over another.

Scott Donley
02-28-2008, 5:06 PM
I am thinking the vendor does enough business sending and receiving that the negotiated rates for them covering the shipping both ways are outweighed by the individal being happy and a repeat customer. It is a good business model when dealing in volume shipping and receiving. I see this as a benefit to customers and a reason to continue to shop with one vendor over another.I agree, but it all adds to their bottom line, would you expect the same if it was a cabinet saw ? if not, is it then a matter of money ? When then does it become to much ?

Peter Quadarella
02-28-2008, 5:12 PM
The reason they offer that option is so that people don't decide not to buy their product simply because they are worried they will change their mind. They reap the benefits of this policy and of course will also reap the downsides. I see no problem with someone taking advantage of an offer the company provided.

Or would you rather the shipping company be hurt by the loss in business? ;)

Scott Donley
02-28-2008, 5:32 PM
I see no problem with someone taking advantage of an offer the company provided.

I also agree with you, but, what I am saying is at some point the venders will start doing as the stores have done because of cost. The ones that at one time allowed returns for any reasons now limit time and charge restocking fees.

Ben Cadotte
02-28-2008, 5:48 PM
I also agree with you, but, what I am saying is at some point the venders will start doing as the stores have done because of cost. The ones that at one time allowed returns for any reasons now limit time and charge restocking fees.

Well most online places will take clothes and shoes back and pay for shipping. Why not tools?? Yes they are heavy. Would I have been mad if they didn't. Nope, I was honnest up front. Even before it was delivered. I said I found this other model that I like better. I tried to have it cancelled before it was even shipped. But they said the order had already gone through. They told me to refuse shipment. I said I would not be home to do that. So they sent me a return lable. I didn't have to twist arms or complain. It was just easy as that.

Am I taking advantage of them or a system. Don't know, I could have opened the box, taped it up and sent it back saying it was a pos. But I went the honnest route. And they must have liberal shipping policies.

Dan Barr
02-28-2008, 5:53 PM
yea,

if there had been a magical fairy, i would have expected to know about it ASAP. i want me some free stuff too! :)

ciao,

dan

Jim O'Dell
02-28-2008, 5:57 PM
Thank you for indulging me. I had guessed it was something similar. I also came up with a magical fairy sending out tools.

Hey Jason, if you see this tool fairy your talking about, have them divert that mortiser my way. I've been good, I promise! :rolleyes: :D :D Jim.

Gary Keedwell
02-28-2008, 6:42 PM
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/dirtbox/pics/muttley.gif Reminds me of the people who "buy" a big screen TV just before the big game and bring it back the next day. Alot of places that had liberal exchange policies have now tightened them up.:cool:
Gary

Jason Beam
02-28-2008, 6:48 PM
What would you have done in this man's shoes?? Sucked it up and lived with the Delta even though the company graciously offered to take return of it?

I think there are too many high horses in this thread.

Scott Donley
02-28-2008, 7:06 PM
What would you have done in this man's shoes?? Sucked it up and lived with the Delta even though the company graciously offered to take return of it?

I think there are too many high horses in this thread.Yes,,, and no high horse,just what I would do, MY mistake, not their's. Not saying Ben did wrong, just pointing out the added cost to us all.

Jason Beam
02-28-2008, 7:23 PM
Yes,,, and no high horse,just what I would do, MY mistake, not their's. Not saying Ben did wrong, just pointing out the added cost to us all.

He clarified a little though, doesn't that count for something?

He called them asking to cancel his order. They said it was too late, but he could deny delivery - they introduced that, he didn't ask for it. Cancelling the order was his original intent, and I think that really says something for the company he ordered it from. THEY offered the solution, he merely agreed to it. If anything, they company went above and beyond, imho.

Scott Donley
02-28-2008, 7:40 PM
He clarified a little though, doesn't that count for something?

He called them asking to cancel his order. They said it was too late, but he could deny delivery - they introduced that, he didn't ask for it. Cancelling the order was his original intent, and I think that really says something for the company he ordered it from. THEY offered the solution, he merely agreed to it. If anything, they company went above and beyond, imho.Not sure of the answer you are looking for Jason, I said Ben did nothing wrong, Delta did great, but at some point we will all pay in the end. Thats it. I would have not done it that way but I understand that is ME. I gave up a long time ago thinking everyone thinks like me :D

Brandon Shew
02-28-2008, 8:51 PM
Reminds me of the people who "buy" a big screen TV just before the big game and bring it back the next day. Alot of places that had liberal exchange policies have now tightened them up.:cool:
Gary

I don't see it that way. He's still buying a tool from the same distributor, and a more expensive tool at that. He didn't "buy" it, use it for a project and then try to return it as many have done with TVs for the big game. Using your same TV example, what the OP did was the equivalent of buying a 42" TV and deciding to return it (unopened and unused) and pay more money instead for a 52" TV.

It is also the choice of the supplier as to charge or not to charge him for return shipping. I would imagine that if it was really hurting their bottom line all that much then they would have billed him for it.

Gary Keedwell
02-28-2008, 9:03 PM
I don't see it that way. He's still buying a tool from the same distributor, and a more expensive tool at that. He didn't "buy" it, use it for a project and then try to return it as many have done with TVs for the big game. Using your same TV example, what the OP did was the equivalent of buying a 42" TV and deciding to return it (unopened and unused) and pay more money instead for a 52" TV.

It is also the choice of the supplier as to charge or not to charge him for return shipping. I would imagine that if it was really hurting their bottom line all that much then they would have billed him for it.
I'm sorry...my post wasn't referring to original poster...I was just echo-ing another poster's observation about store policy. I agree with with returning to same store unopened because of change of mind...again, sorry for the confusion.:)
Gary

Greg Funk
02-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Not sure of the answer you are looking for Jason, I said Ben did nothing wrong, Delta did great, but at some point we will all pay in the end. Thats it. I would have not done it that way but I understand that is ME. I gave up a long time ago thinking everyone thinks like me :D
What if you bought it from a store and changed your mind when you got it home? Would it be acceptable to return it for a refund without compensating the store the sales clerk's time?

Greg