View Full Version : First Lathe?

jason lambert
02-28-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm sure this has been posted before but I went back 6 pages and couldn't find it. Anyhow I did some pen turning and enjoyed it, I was looking at the Jet lathe but it is a little small. If I decide to get a lathe I want something decent that I can turn more than a pen on, something full size. This will not be for every day production it will be in a home hobbie shop. What should I be looking at, I don't really care about cost. I see people like the powermatic but that is a little high $2700 or is that what I need to spend.

Ron Ainge
02-28-2008, 12:45 PM
I own three lathes and I am looking very hard at buying my next one. This weekend the Woodcraft store in my area is having a 10% off sale on everything in the store. The mustard looks a lot better at 10% off of the $2799 price than it does today. The only problem is that my shop is in the basement and I would have to pack it down there, then in about a year I am going to move to the mountains and I would have to pack it back out of there and I am not sure that I want to do all that work twice. I do have to make my mind up in the next two days or I miss out on a real good deal though.

My advise to you is to buy the best you can the first time and then you may not have to buy again later.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-28-2008, 12:54 PM
Jason,

Realistically there are couple of things to take into consideration.

1.There are the low end mini-midi lathes.

2. There are the bigger lathes that turn larger items but use an Reeves adjustable pulley system to adjust speed. The only problems with these systems are the mechanical parts of this type of system is the inherent mechanical problems and extra maintenance required.

3. Then there are the bigger more expensive lathes like the Novas, PMs, etc.

4. Then there are the really expensive lathes like the Oneways, the Robusts, etc.

If you are willing to do a little planned/preventative maintenance, the Reeves drives units which are generally cheaper than the Novas or PMs, they are a good bang for the buck but generally more expensive than the mini-midi lathes.

Keep in mind, the lathe is often the cheapest part of getting into turning unless you are buying one of the more expesive lathes, robust, etc.

For example, I was given a Jet VS Mini, a SN2 chuck by the inmates here along with a lot of tools, and videos. Roughly I'd guess the value of what I received in the neighborhood of $1100 worth of lathe, chuck and tools.

By the time I bought a grinder, a jig system, more tools, a HF system, more tools.....Before I upgraded to my new PM3520B I had spent between $2500 and $4000 out of my own pocket. That in the first 18 months of my turning experience. Can you do it cheaper.....yes.....but I'm still not outfitted to the point I'd like to be.

As you pursue your desire to turn keep in mind a couple of things about the lathe you buy. The folks here bought me a Jet VS Mini. It uses a #2 morse taper on the head stock and the tailstock. Everything I bought for the mini that used a #2 morse taper was transferrable to my PM because it, too, uses a #2 morse taper. I bought a Sorby modular tool rest system last June while visiting in Houston. In September, I ordered my new PM3520B. I ordered a new 1" post for the system at a cost of $12.99 IIRC and now it's useable on both the Jet Mini and the PM.

The SN2 chuck that they gave me with the Mini.....a $19.00 adapter and it now resides and works on my new PM3520B.

In short, regardless of what lathe you buy, keep your eye out on the "accessories" so that they are useable should you decide to upgrade later.

The accessories are much more expensive than the lathe.

jason lambert
02-28-2008, 12:54 PM
That is usally what I usally do and I like woodworking so I'm sure it will get many years of use.

Bernie Weishapl
02-28-2008, 1:43 PM
Jason I would look at the Jet 1642 and the Nova DVR XP. With 10% off I believe at Woodcraft you could make a decent deal. I went with the Nova because it fit my small shop just a little better but would have been happy with either as I have turned on both before I bought. Both have plenty of power. I got the bed extension for the Nova and love it. It can handle 16" inboard or 29" outboard and I know I am not going to turn anything bigger than that. I feel both are excellent lathes.

Gordon Seto
02-28-2008, 1:48 PM
Before you spending the big $$ on something you don't know where it would lead you, I suggest you find a local chapter and join them and see what area you are going to be interested first.
AAW Local Chapter Listing - The American Association of Woodturners (http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/members.pl?submit=Chapter+List)
Or get the new Jet 1220 VS to start with. It has 270 low rpm, it is capable of doing bowls. If you don't like it, it has a high resale value; you don't lose much. If you like it, you will know exactly what the last lathe you want to upgrade to. A lot of us love our mini so much, we keep them as second lathe. IMO, a good mini lathe is more enjoyable to use than a mediocre full size lathe.

jason lambert
02-28-2008, 4:22 PM
Welll the semi local turing club doesn't meet till a month from now. Guess I will waite till then to get started. I do need some guidence.

Dave Stoler
02-28-2008, 5:19 PM
Gordon makes a few very good points...And so do the rest of the responses. But in my humble opinion a local turning group will help clarify most questions.
I started with a jet 1220 4 months ago and can do a awful lot with it.But even with that ,your asking allot from the bearings and motor of a mini when you chuck up a 10in blank or try to do a larger natural edge bowl(I haven,t).
I,m researching "bigger and better" now.

David Wilhelm
02-28-2008, 6:22 PM
Jason there are several good dales going on this weekend and this month with Jet having the rebates to go along with it. Not sure what PM is doing if anything and mustard is is sure a good lathe to have. I think however it's what most of use would be upgrading to unless we've been exposed to turning and we jumping in with wet feet already. I would offer that a starter lathe for your pocket book may be the jet 1642 as mentioned in 220volt 2hp or the 110 volt 1.5 hp. there is about 5-700 bucks difference in price depending on where you shop. You can surely get your feet wet with either of these VS lathes. You may find that you'd like something like a Vega to go with a smaller lathe.

http://www.vegawoodworking.com/2400%20Bowl%20Lathe.html

Ron McKinley
02-28-2008, 7:50 PM
I had a similar dilemna two years ago. I bought the Big Mustard machine at the Louisville AAW to be shipped. When I got home I found that all my friends that could help me with it would be out of town when it arrived and there was no way I could handle 800+ pounds. So, I called and changed my order to the DVR-XP, only 180 pounds. I already had a sturdy bench to mount it to and I've been happy ever since. I would recommend the DVR-XP.........Ron