PDA

View Full Version : Please help ID tool...

Clisby Clark
02-28-2008, 8:42 AM
This tool was loaned to me for identification. I smugly thought I knew just about any tool from all my years of ebay and rust hunting, but I'm stumped on this one. It's marked, I believe, "F Emrich" on both sides. It looks like a massive drawknife with one vertical and one horizontal handle, but the replacable blade looks like a very long straight razor blade- it is very thin, but the body of the tool is an extremely thick triangular cross section. I'm guessing it may not be a woodworking tool since it has such a thin blade. Thanks for all input.

Clisby Clark
02-28-2008, 8:44 AM
this is the first picture I've ever posted online and since I don't have a digital camera I had someone take the pics for me. I'll know better next time.

harry strasil
02-28-2008, 12:05 PM
It looks a lot like a raw hide flesher, although it might be a coopers tool.

Greg Muller
02-28-2008, 1:20 PM
This looks very much like a old vertical turn-churn insert. It goes in a skinny vertical round barrell, the round 'peg' on the right of the picture sits in a depression at the inside bottom of the barrell to keep the whole thing centered in the barrell. The wing-shaped paddle area is also inside the barrell and mixes the contents when the handles are turned. There should also be two half-circle pieces that are used to close off the top of the barrell around the upper shaft and allow the handles to stick out the top.

I haven't seen one quite this skinny before, but my grandfather had a few of them. This one would be in great condition if all the parts were there.

Question- is there a hole drilled in the end of the handle on the right?

Of course, i could be wayyyyyy off...:rolleyes:

Correction: Called my Nana. She said those had wider paddles and were screw-shaped with holes drilled thru. Oh well, apparently my 93 year old Nana has a better memory than her 42 year old grandson.

Greg

Jim Holman
02-28-2008, 5:51 PM
Curriers back or screw knife. Used to pare down the thickness of leather. Referenced from R.A Salaman Dictionary of Leatherworking Tools