PDA

View Full Version : Plain and simple plane question

Jim Dunn
02-28-2008, 8:40 AM
I have a need to straighten out a couple of boards before I send them through the jointer:rolleyes: I know that you purist will shame me for not doing the whole thing with hand tools but my skills don't allow for that.

My question is what plane to use to take the bow out of the board. I attacked it with the ends bowed up and used a Stanley #5. That seemed to follow the bow without cutting much material. I then tried a small 220 plane to take the tips of the bow off and then followed up with the #5 and got better results.

Maybe my technique was backwards? Should I have placed the bow up? Is that why the larger plane wouldn't cut?

By the way I did get the job done and my hat is off to the "old timers" who do it by hand!:D

Jim

Robert Rozaieski
02-28-2008, 9:02 AM
The longest plane you have or can get your hands on. I have a 30" wooden jointer and it's not too long. Your #5 is too short. Put the concave side up and start making passes. The plane will only take shavings on the ends at first but will take longer and longer shavings as you get closer and closer to flat. When you can take one long shaving from one end to the other, the edge will be straight and you won't need to send it through the jointer unless you need to square the edge to the face (this can be done with the plane as well but isn't always necessary).

Tom Sontag
02-28-2008, 7:47 PM
I am not sure I understand your problem Jim. If you are just trying to lop off some points sticking up at the end of the board, seems to me almost any sharp plane can work. I would reach for my 5 or 7. But I have done this kind of thing with a block plane, just to prepare the work for a smoother first pass on a machine. Either side up would work. Just remove areas that a straight edge suggests needs removal. Final passes with the longest plane you have is correct for full hand tool edge jointing.

Maybe your real problem is buying that el cheapo wood from some discount vendor who can't dry oak straight. ;)

Mark Stutz
02-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Maybe your real problem is buying that el cheapo wood from some discount vendor who can't dry oak straight. ;)

Jim,
That's what I was going to suggest!:D;)

Mark

Jim Dunn
02-29-2008, 8:25 AM
Jim,
That's what I was going to suggest!:D;)

Mark

I can't believe you were thinking the same thing I was:eek::p.

I seems that the biggest problem was the sharpness of the blade in that #5. I resharpened it and got much better results. (Course it was on some hard maple I had that was dried much straighter.:rolleyes:;))

Mark Stutz
02-29-2008, 11:17 AM
Jim,
If you want to try out a jointer tomorrow, let me know. At least for now, it's shop time all day...no honey-do list that I know of. Probably take me 15 min to get to your place.

Mark

Gary Herrmann
02-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Hey Mark, I'm working from home today, can you come joint some boards for me while I do that?

Tom Sontag
02-29-2008, 6:49 PM
Yeah okay, everybody just pile on.

One solution to eliminating the el cheapo vendor problem is we raise prices. Great idea Tom!

Actually, now that I re-examine your photos Jim, the shavings do suggest sharpness could have been part of the problem. I also wanted to ask if you bother cutting the boards to rough length before jointing; much less material to remove when jointing shorter boards. I forgot already what you are making.....

Gary Herrmann
02-29-2008, 8:12 PM
Ahem. Tom, you'll notice I actually refrained from piling on.

Figured the fact that I didn't pile on would have you paranoid, waiting for my scathing comment...

Now that I've finally looked at the pics, I have to agree with Tom. It looks like your iron was dull and you were chipping at the board.

Oh and Jim, WC has a sale tomorrow if you need a new plane...

Jim Dunn
03-01-2008, 12:01 AM
Jim,
If you want to try out a jointer tomorrow, let me know. At least for now, it's shop time all day...no honey-do list that I know of. Probably take me 15 min to get to your place.

Mark

Mark I do appreciate you offer but I've actually got an all dayer as grandpa tomorrow:eek: I wouldn't miss an all day with the grand kids for a free leigh plane, I don't think:o

Jim Dunn
03-01-2008, 12:03 AM
Ahem. Tom, you'll notice I actually refrained from piling on.

Tom he's piling on now:D Go get em Gary:p